Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rivergirl
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito Ryu karate, white belt

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Does anyone else's feet stick to the floor when training... Reply with quote

We don't train in a traditional dojo, we train in our Community Centre on cement floors.. I have trouble when doing my kata, if I get nervous, hot etc. my feet get sweaty and then when I try to do my kata my feet stick to the floor, making me wobble and generally look like an idiot..is there anything you can put on your feet so they won't do this? HOw can you overcome this?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your feet dusty. Find the spot that wasnt swept up and samba in it a moment to get your soles dirty, so that the dust is between your feet and the floor and the dust sticks, not the floor. That's also how you get ready to practice spinning kicks in bare feet.

elila
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch- that must hurt when you do sweeping or practice falls. We have a thin mat at my school. But the problem there is that if someone sweats a lot in one area and I move to a different spot then it's possible to slip- eeuuuw.

Can you wear socks during class, or would that make you slide on the floor? They'd probably soak up the sweat.

Mith
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: You could try Reply with quote

rubbing your feet in powder (with cornstarch in it).

We have mats at my dojo and let's just say that rolling your feet on one is a very painful experience.

June1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that I sometimes slip on our mats. Boy, when I sweat, I SWEAT!

I suggest talcum powder. Give your feet a good rub with it.

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

vertigo
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem... just make sure whatever you do, don't use too much of it - don't wanna be flying all over the floor with no grip.

I'd say that any of the suggested methods above would work... I have never tried any kind of powder, I'm sure that would work well though; I usually just end up living with it until I get enough dirt on my feet to where I can slide better.. happens real quick on those long tournament days

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have the opposite problem - the floor of my dojo is very slippery.

These days I use sports tape round my feet, which helps with the slipping. It stops me from sticking to the floor too. Sports tape is usually white and is often used by rugby players. I've also known it called zinc-oxide tape, but the stuff I've got seems different to the zinc-oxide tape that you buy from a chemists.

Talcum powder is also a good thing to use too.

Sheffield Steelers!

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: You could try Reply with quote

Mith wrote:
rubbing your feet in powder (with cornstarch in it).

We have mats at my dojo and let's just say that rolling your feet on one is a very painful experience.

That's true. As does getting your toes caught in the seam as you do a spin kick. <limp, limp>

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

CapitalKarate
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder, and kind of weight lifting powder. I don't have this problem though because for the past 8 years I've kept items of clothing off of my feet as much as possible, even when going outside on asphalt on a 100+ degree day, or on sharp rocks with bits of glass between them. I basically do everything outside (except for church and occassions where I must wear shoes) barefoot so as you can expect, my feet are like two big caluses(sp?), I can't feel a thing on the sole anymore and they don't perspire at all.

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: