Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
I used to train TKD With a friend who gave me clases a couple of times a week, then when i was ready , he took me and his other students for belt test with his 7th Dan Master. They have belt test for my friend and the master students together. Then , i saw that a couple of other students of my friend who were having there test too and make it great, stay with a white with a yellow stripe belt, and the other people from the Master's school who were having there test too, and they didn't make it as good as my friend's student, got Yellow, and yellow with Green stripes Belt.We did better Froms, better techniques, and we kicked Master's students butts in sparring, but we ended with Lower ranks than his students. Also my friend had to give all the money of the test plus a % of the monthly fees he made. And we also have to buy tickets for dinner and other things the Main Dojang had even if we weren't invited to join and have the dinner.
That's why we decided to leave that Dojand and stay ourselfs like freestlye martial artists.
I think its an awfull situation, and I've heard a lot of thing like this on other Schools.
Thanks

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, man, I understand that your the lower belts kicked the higher belts * because, when i have a white belt, this black blet that was a year younger then me got his * *. The reason he got his belt is because he stayed in the school longer, not that he is better in fighter.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again another upsetting example of the McDojo.

Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of typical McCrap to me and I don't know why the Mchell people stay in places like that. I think you guy's made the right choice. I've seen far too many McSchool's that simply refuse to give you a higher ranking belt, even if you have all the knowledge and skills, until you've had a minimun of so-many months invested. I'm sure there's a lot of various McReasons and McExcuses they have, such as keeping you in their McDojo longer, so they can make more McMoney from you. Next time you see something like that, ask them in you can have fries with your McDojo.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jul 28, 2001 6:14pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McFunny and McTrue.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its sad, but it happens a lot and in everything. Like the coaches son that stinks starting at shortstop or pitcher in baseball. :rolleyes:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my intructor and me were talking and another friend who used to be intructor join to the conversation , he retired from martial arts exactly because he was disapointed with all the politics and that's stuff.. he was cheated on the tournaments a lot because the Referees used to give the decision to the Competitor who was student of the Sensei who is the sponsor of the Tournament... Now he's thinking on joining and train with us in a free way... No politics, just sweat, and hard training ..

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that sounds good......good luck with your studies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it.. A belt is just a clothing accessory to hold up your pants. Forget it, just keep in mind that you are doing good in your training and that you are coming along great. The only belts that really matter are won in the ring.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said probably too many times here, and that's that I only use a belt to help reduce injury and shock to my internal organs. Other than that, I couldn't care less. However, being that a lot of schools base what they teach you on your belt rank, it can be something to worry about. It makes sense, and a way of keeping track, how far someone's come along to be able to know they have the skill and bases to learn the next techniques, etc. That makes sense. And it's okay to deal with, even if you have to wait to learn other techniques that are more advanced that you probably could have handled already and now -- even though it sucks you can't, it's okay.

However, I don't care about how they keep track, but in a lot of dojo's, as well as McDojo's, a lot still do delay or otherwise hold off on teaching you the next level of techniques, because by your rank, you aren't exactly ready yet. And, that would really be terrible in a situation that you couldn't advance at your own pace or were a victim to politics. As you say though, don't worry -- and let me add -- just as long as you find a real school.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: