Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luvshak
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Double Grades? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, is it normal for some students to double grade at some point or another?

The reason I ask is because, I am currently a white belt (10th Kyu), but my sensei has recently told me that providing I can learn the syllabus for 9th and 8th Kyu by the next grading, he will put me up for a double grading.

Is this a fairly normal practice?

Thanks for any information in advance.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your instructor can do anything that he wants to do because your his student. That is the bottom line. It speaks in volumes that your instructor is considering it, and in that, I congratulate you on that.

Both the JKA as well as the SKIF, to name just a few, have often performed many double gradings in the past, and they're Shotokan.

As far as my students are concerned, it's one rung at a time!

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also done in Soo Bahk Do. We all start out as 10th gups, but adults test right for 8th, with 9th being more for children who do well, are too old for multiple stripes of colored electrical tape, but aren't up to the adult level yet.

Double-grade promotion is only done once, in the beginning, and as for the 9th gups, I've only seen it a couple of times. Since I know those young students, I understand how they qualified for that in-between promotion.

Kruczek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know tons of senior black belts who jumped from 1st dan to 4th dan etc... I don't see why 10th to 8th should ever be an issue.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruczek wrote:

I know tons of senior black belts who jumped from 1st dan to 4th dan etc...

Did these dan members start their own martial art, or perhaps there was a reorganization of the art they were in? Did such a jump reflect years of study in the art itself?

I understand gup members double-grading, Kruczek, whether as is done in my art's system, or if someone is a dan member in a similar martial art and so is placed on a fast track. I just never thought of dan members.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend on prior experience, physical ability, and each school's policy on such actions.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools in different styles will let you jump grades at colour belt level. I did the jump from 10th to 8th myself; we have a similar system to joesteph. Also if you have prior training its usually easier to get the curriculem down and move up through the ranks.

Kruczek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
Did these dan members start their own martial art, or perhaps there was a reorganization of the art they were in? Did such a jump reflect years of study in the art itself?

Kyoshi Eddie Bethea from Shorinkan Shorin-ryu was given his 4th degree while in Okinawa by Hanshi Nakazato.

"By January 1968, just two years after his first lesson, Bethea was promoted to Yondan -- fourth degree black belt"

Now he was stationed in Okinawa during Vietnam and this may have been an attempt to get qualified teachers outside of Japan...I don't know nor do I care (he is an amazing instructor), but a good case of jumping ranks.

Hanshi Tadashi Yamashita was the youngest 7th degree black belt in Japanese history at the age of 27 (give or take a year). Again brilliant martial artist who deserved it, but had to have jumped a few ranks to do it.

Neither of my above examples "created" their rank, both were given rank by an established school with a clear traceable lineage.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will depend on prior experience, physical ability, and each school's policy on such actions.

Brian's right on...again!

Quote:
Kyoshi Eddie Bethea from Shorinkan Shorin-ryu was given his 4th degree while in Okinawa by Hanshi Nakazato.

"By January 1968, just two years after his first lesson, Bethea was promoted to Yondan -- fourth degree black belt"

Now he was stationed in Okinawa during Vietnam and this may have been an attempt to get qualified teachers outside of Japan...I don't know nor do I care (he is an amazing instructor), but a good case of jumping ranks.

Hanshi Tadashi Yamashita was the youngest 7th degree black belt in Japanese history at the age of 27 (give or take a year). Again brilliant martial artist who deserved it, but had to have jumped a few ranks to do it.

Neither of my above examples "created" their rank, both were given rank by an established school with a clear traceable lineage.

Impressive! Interesting! It validates what Brian posted here!

Sheech! It's the story of my life! Behind the curve again! Late to my own funeral! Better late than never!

Still, one rung at a time for my students!!!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you've got to be late to anything, it just as well be your own funeral!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: