Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hameed
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Double Grading. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,I am kinda new here and don't know a lot about this forum.My question is that I am a white belt,I have started karate a month ago,and I'm doing pretty well.I know the blocks,punches,kicks and also Kata.And I also know the yellow belt Kata as well and I wanted to double grade.I have my grading test in a month and I want to double grade.So how do we double grade,I mean how good are we suppose to be in order to double grade,and do we only need to do the yellow belt Kata or the yellow belt kicks blocks etc? Thank you. [/b]

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Hameed.

Your questions all depend on your instructor. He/she is the one who tests you and knows your ability level.

It's not that uncommon to double promote the first time in some styles/schools. My CI often skips the second belt and double promotes adult students. Our curriculum goes from white belt to advanced white to blue. The white and advanced white belt curriculums don't have much difference between them, with advanced white having 1 more kata* and one or two other standardized things. Rather than test them for advanced white then test them again 2 months later, he usually waits and just tests them for blue belt when the student is ready.

*The white belt is taikyoku 1 and advanced white is taikyoku 2. The only difference between them is taikyoku 1 has all middle punches and taikyoku 2 has all high punches; same blocks, steps, etc.

At the lowest kyu levels there's not much material to learn, and it's about getting used to moving in stances, and basic blocks, punches and kicks. Some students pick up on these very quickly while others don't. Just as it's wrong to promote someone who's not yet ready, it's also wrong to hold someone back who's grasped the concepts and has demonstrated that they're ready to move forward.

Long story short, your teacher determines your promotion and how and why it's earned. We'll all be guessing at the how and why.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Hameed.

Your questions all depend on your instructor. He/she is the one who tests you and knows your ability level.

It's not that uncommon to double promote the first time in some styles/schools. My CI often skips the second belt and double promotes adult students. Our curriculum goes from white belt to advanced white to blue. The white and advanced white belt curriculums don't have much difference between them, with advanced white having 1 more kata* and one or two other standardized things. Rather than test them for advanced white then test them again 2 months later, he usually waits and just tests them for blue belt when the student is ready.

*The white belt is taikyoku 1 and advanced white is taikyoku 2. The only difference between them is taikyoku 1 has all middle punches and taikyoku 2 has all high punches; same blocks, steps, etc.

At the lowest kyu levels there's not much material to learn, and it's about getting used to moving in stances, and basic blocks, punches and kicks. Some students pick up on these very quickly while others don't. Just as it's wrong to promote someone who's not yet ready, it's also wrong to hold someone back who's grasped the concepts and has demonstrated that they're ready to move forward.

Long story short, your teacher determines your promotion and how and why it's earned. We'll all be guessing at the how and why.

Welcome to KF, Hameed; glad that you're here!!

I wholeheartedly concur with JR 137, especially what's written in the bold type above. Don't worry about rank, ever! Train; that's your responsibility to do so!! Everything else comes out in the wash in time!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Hameed!

I agree with what Sensei8 & JR137 have said, as you should just focus on what you're learning and not what worry about double grading.

At the end of the day it will be up to your sensei to decide whether you are deserving to be double graded to the following rank above Yellow Belt.

IMHO it isn't common for white belts to be double graded from the very beginning due to the persons relative inexperience. You will be graded to what your sensei thinks that you are at in relation to your skill level and abilities, if they think your at that level you'll get that double grade.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, no student should ever ask your CI if you can double grade because one, that's, to be honest, none of the students business, and two, that's rude and assumptive of a student to do so.

The line, should never be crossed, and in that, the line isn't as faded as a student might like to think it is...that line is quite defined and understood.

Imho!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, same thoughts I was having. Just grade, and don't worry about it. If the instructor deems that you are worthy of double grading, then they will decide that. Otherwise, just enjoy your training.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
In addition, no student should ever ask your CI if you can double grade because one, that's, to be honest, none of the students business, and two, that's rude and assumptive of a student to do so.

The line, should never be crossed, and in that, the line isn't as faded as a student might like to think it is...that line is quite defined and understood.

Imho!

Solid Post!

When I see students get double graded I think that they must have deserved it and been very talented.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!

Solid Post!

When I see students get double graded I think that they must have deserved it and been very talented.
I see this usually as pertaining to a student with some prior experience, as well.

Hameed
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for being helpful,I understand now.My grading test is on 12th of December.Again thank you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you! Please lets us know how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: