Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Double Leg Takedown Reply with quote

This past week, we spent time working on a critical component of ANY ground fight- getting the fight to the ground in the first place. Here, one of our purple belts and wrestlers walks us through the double leg takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xfzv6OWcg

Wrestling tactics are one of many avenues open to the BJJ athlete, or any other grappler in this day and age that accomplish this mission. Some other great options are judo throws, and trips. Heck, even pulling guard isn't off the table in my mind.

So, what take downs do others use to control the position of the fight? What family of arts do you go to to fill this gap? Why?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fantastic tutorial, Alex. Great to see a purple belt and wrestler show the double leg takedown; awesome job.

Quote:
So, what take downs do others use to control the position of the fight?

From the stand-up position, I believe that one of the most prominent take down is the single/double leg takedown; it can be overused, but effectiveness can never be overused, imho. I also love to transition to the back to execute a belly to back suplex!! Being always prepared that to my offense there is a counter, and I need to be aware of it always.

Quote:
What family of arts do you go to to fill this gap? Why

Gosh, Alex, I know you're already hating me for saying this all of the time, but, Tuite is where I go to fill this gap. Why? Because it's effective, and in that, Tuite has earned my respect over the many, many years. When, and if it does fail me, than wrestling will fill in the gap because I'm quite pretty good at wrestling, having done it in and out of MA my entire life.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never get tired of hearing any response! In regard to tuite in the takedown, how are you utilizing it? Small joint manipulation to posture break?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Never get tired of hearing any response! In regard to tuite in the takedown, how are you utilizing it? Small joint manipulation to posture break?

For the most part, small joint manipulations. Students learning Tuite, especially while grappling, they forget that, for the most of the time, a foundation must be in the manipulation, or it just won't work; they'll just break free without any problem. But use a foundation for the manipulation, well, that'll be quite unpleasant for my opponent; not easy to escape from once set without experiencing some severe pain.

I can utilize the Tuite in a number of ways. I can wait until I'm touched or I can initiate it, but for the most part, I will wait until I'm touched. Can't grapple unless you touch some part of my/their body. Standing or on the ground, the foundation, the support of the manipulation must be there.

As a LEO, I'm sure the academy teaches some certain controlling holds. They're simple...direct...and the suspect isn't going anywhere until you allow it. Those are Tuite properties!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that looked pretty textbook. I work with Kendall on his, because he usually is too far away when he does his penetration step, and his head tends to go down. Not good.

I liked his setup with the gi. I find, for me, that its hard at this stage in the game to really change levels effectively. We are lucky in that we have a few collegiate Wrestlers in our DT club, and they work with us on a few different takedowns, and we are going to work more and more on them, too. Last week, he showed one from a over/under setup, where he would reach across and block the opposite knee with the underhook arm, and then apply pressure while stepping back with the outside foot, taking them down and then getting into the position you want.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I thought that looked pretty textbook. I work with Kendall on his, because he usually is too far away when he does his penetration step, and his head tends to go down. Not good.

I liked his setup with the gi. I find, for me, that its hard at this stage in the game to really change levels effectively. We are lucky in that we have a few collegiate Wrestlers in our DT club, and they work with us on a few different takedowns, and we are going to work more and more on them, too. Last week, he showed one from a over/under setup, where he would reach across and block the opposite knee with the underhook arm, and then apply pressure while stepping back with the outside foot, taking them down and then getting into the position you want.

I agree with you here, Brian!! You, my friend, are someone who CAN TEACH. Kendall and Kenneth are super lucky to have you help them in a wide range of things that they've/they'll encounter.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bob!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Leg Takedown Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
This past week, we spent time working on a critical component of ANY ground fight- getting the fight to the ground in the first place. Here, one of our purple belts and wrestlers walks us through the double leg takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xfzv6OWcg

Wrestling tactics are one of many avenues open to the BJJ athlete, or any other grappler in this day and age that accomplish this mission. Some other great options are judo throws, and trips. Heck, even pulling guard isn't off the table in my mind.

So, what take downs do others use to control the position of the fight? What family of arts do you go to to fill this gap? Why?

I prefer judo, mostly because everyone in the us and in mma in general focuses on wrestling and judo is the answer to wrestling. In a twist of irony, wrestling is also the answer to judo. It's also easier to throw people in the cage and in a fight than it is to set up a shot but that depends on your boxing ability. Sprawls come quite naturally to athletes and many fighters are persistent with their sprawls. From a judo perspective a sprawl is the worst thing you can do, so many end up making it easier to throw them rather than difficult.

I also don't like the idea of shooting. Hurt my shoulders many a time and I don't like putting my neck low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: