Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Embarassed Reply with quote

bitestones wrote:
I think i am bad at Kyokushin Karate. About three years ago i made 10 Kyu(orange/red belt). I haven't advanced so far. I struggle with depression and low self esteem and slight paranoia. I have hard time learning the japanese words and Kihon and Kata. Sometimes i don't want to learn at all so i just quit, but i keep coming back. Should i quit Karate because i feel like the worst karateka in the whole world? I don't want to quit, i like the workout. Am i wrong if i want to keep going to the dojo while being a very slow learner? I wonder if my Sensei thinks i am a disgrace in his dojo. Also others have made friends with one another while i'm still a loner. I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Avoidant traits.

I know people who have never graded - it doesn't matter how quickly you progress through the Kyu or Dan grades.
If you enjoy it, stick at it my friend.
No, you Sensei should understand that people learn at different rates and he/she should not criticize you for this.
Also, I've known people train karate for years and not know a lot of the Japanese words for moves, kata's etc.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarassed Reply with quote

bitestones wrote:
I think i am bad at Kyokushin Karate. About three years ago i made 10 Kyu(orange/red belt). I haven't advanced so far. I struggle with depression and low self esteem and slight paranoia. I have hard time learning the japanese words and Kihon and Kata. Sometimes i don't want to learn at all so i just quit, but i keep coming back. Should i quit Karate because i feel like the worst karateka in the whole world? I don't want to quit, i like the workout. Am i wrong if i want to keep going to the dojo while being a very slow learner? I wonder if my Sensei thinks i am a disgrace in his dojo. Also others have made friends with one another while i'm still a loner. I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Avoidant traits.

It's September; good luck with your first day on the floor!! You've got me in your corner...hang in there!!

Have you discussed your situation with all that you're going through? If not, I strongly suggest to you that you do exactly that so that your Sensei will have that understanding right from the start!! If the Sensei is worth his salt, the time it might take you to learn what's expected of you, won't ever interest him at all. He'll teach, and you'll learn...AT YOUR PACE, not his pace!! Your Sensei will see that you're working hard and you're not giving up; that will go along way!!

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Embarassed Reply with quote

bitestones wrote:
I think i am bad at Kyokushin Karate. About three years ago i made 10 Kyu(orange/red belt). I haven't advanced so far. I struggle with depression and low self esteem and slight paranoia. I have hard time learning the japanese words and Kihon and Kata. Sometimes i don't want to learn at all so i just quit, but I keep coming back. Should i quit Karate because i feel like the worst karateka in the whole world? I don't want to quit, i like the workout. Am i wrong if i want to keep going to the dojo while being a very slow learner? I wonder if my Sensei thinks i am a disgrace in his dojo. Also others have made friends with one another while I'm still a loner. I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Avoidant traits.

Karate ,Kyokushinkai karate teaches the body to be strong, and like ALL other karate it teaches the mind to be stronger!
Grading is not a race, never should be, you grade when you are ready, and you will be ready when you are confident in your ability and ..

Grief it all sounds a bit much doesn't it...

Relax, take your time work on your syllabus, at home in the front room or bedroom in the dojo.
It wil come of that be sure, time is the best teacher you can have so use its not going anywhere its always there for you!

I've mentioned a website in other posts that I think you will like, it demonstrates 'basics' (kihon) without the shouting and it will repeat and repeat forever if you want!
www.karatetest.com

My turn to be a little sheepish have a read of this Post...
http://www.karateforums.com/kyokushin-shodan-grading-vt48722.html

My demons.

oh! and always enjoy what you do!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be that guy, but Bitestones (the OP) hasn't posted since last year. I doubt he's still checking. Hopefully all is well or at least better for him.

T.j
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: mixed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some one how won the battol with depression the first thing you relise is your worst fears are in your head . The arts are a personal path you must walk alone . If you are not progresing like you wont to try a nother art it will give you a diffrent way of looking at your own art

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.j wrote:
As some one how won the battol with depression the first thing you relise is your worst fears are in your head . The arts are a personal path you must walk alone . If you are not progresing like you wont to try a nother art it will give you a diffrent way of looking at your own art

Welcome to KF, T.j; glad that you're here!!

As to your post...Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: