Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was training with them? What did you do? What was the setting? That sort of thing. I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere.

There's really not much of a story to tell.

JR 137 wrote:
How was training with them?

The training with them all was expected and not expected, all at the same time. Strict protocol was upheld, and to each of the venues, required us to have a sponsor; we just couldn't just show up and ask to train.

Each was a challenge across the board; drilled us as though we stole money from them, and yet, without any challenges, then why attend. However, nothing, in the regards of how the pace was provided, because we are use to being drilled by Soke and Dai-Soke as though we stole money from them.

JR 137 wrote:
What did you do?

We trained!! At Ninomaya Sensei, we trained on Tai-Sabaki aspects, and much of it was similar to what we've been trained on in Shindokan. However, there was a very fresh newness to Enshin's outwardly methodologies and ideologies when it comes to Tai-Sabaki.

We left his Hombu knowing that we had been introduced to new methods of Tai-Sabaki that Shindokan ignores. A new impression was upon us all.

At Nakamura Sensei, both time, we trained in the ocean; which was new for us all. Even though we have the Santa Monica Beach of the Pacific Ocean in California, we've never trained in the ocean.

First time, we worked on Kihon in the ocean, as well as Kumite in the ocean; interesting aspects can be found when the force of the ocean makes you bow to the oceans mighty forces.

Second time, we worked on Bo drills in the ocean, and that, too, was interesting because one has to utilize ones core more often in the ocean than one does on dry land.

Both time, inside his dojo, was a literal drill-a-thons with no rest, except for corrections. The rawness on the Kumite was what Greg and I aspired to mimic in our own training, however, we took our Kumite sessions to another level; barbaric, if I may.

Both, Ninomaya Sensei and Nakamura Sensei were the consummate professionals on and off the floor; expert hosts.

JR 137 wrote:
What was the setting?

Both of their Hombu's were beautiful across the board!! Quite spaciously, and I saw discipline not taken lightly when one of their Dan students would not treat us with respect. Just because we were not of their respective towards us, on and/or off the floor.

For the most, we were treated as valued guests for the most part, but all of the time by Ninomaya Sensei and Nakamura Sensei.

Those these were many years ago, it was very much appreciated of them both to open, both their hearts and dojo's to us, especially in times when the welcome mats were not happily offered.

I was star struck with them both, as well as their Hombu's, as well as their students, as well as themselves.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sensei.

What you said reminds me of a conversation between my CI and a student getting ready to test for shodan at honbu (under Kaicho Nakamura, obviously). She was pretty nervous and asking 'what about this and what about that' questions. Through the exchange, which I was kind of involved in, I said "it seems like you have nothing to worry about as long as you show respect and follow protocol." My CI's eyes light up and he said "Yes! Kaicho expects you'll make some mistakes. He's fine with that, within reason. What he doesn't tolerate is being disrespectful, breaking protocol, or giving up." That's what karate, and all MA are all about IMO.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't had a chance to visit the Enshin Karate dojo. It's too far out for me. I think I will relax on it for a while. But just up the road from me is a Seido Juku dojo. I didn't mention that I had tried a class out there and I was very impressed. Quite exhilirating and fast paced unlike Goju Ryu.

In Goju, we focus a lot on kata and bunkai. I am yet to see how Seido Juku does things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: