Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Fast Or Slow?? Reply with quote

I've almost got my camcorder up to speed with installing drives and the like. I need to get an SD memory card and a tri-pod, and after a few test records for lighting and things like that, plus trials and errors, I'll be good to start recording.

So...

An introduction first...

It's time to bring Shindokan out of the dark ages...when it comes to things of our modern world. Having said that, as Kaicho of the SKKA/Shindokan, I'm taking it upon myself to partake of the following:

A Kata DVD project in two phases:

Phase one>>>Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kata [Empty-Hand]
Phase two>>>Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo Kata

When I say "I'm taking it upon myself", I mean that I'm not authorized by the SKKA/Shindokan to partake of this without their explicit authorization. HOGWASH...is exactly what I told them...HOGWASH. If you don't want to do it as a team, then I'll do it by myself. Time is wasting, and time, imho, is now, and not sometime in the far future...if ever.

Our Soke has written that..."NOTHING OF SHINDOKAN belongs to any sole individual on the face of the Earth; Shindokan belongs to everyone." So, if Shindokan belongs to "everyone", and I'm part of everyone, then because Shindokan belongs to "everyone", I've the right to engage in this of my own free will, without fear of any reprisals, sanctions, and the like from any governing body and/or any individual.

Why are they not authorizing me to do this project? Well, it wasn't their idea. Which is another HOGWASH because we've been in one meeting after meeting for many years...with no agreements in sight, nor do I see one in my lifetime.

OK...enough of an introduction. Politics be damned...here's my question(s)...

Should the Kata's be executed slow or should they be executed at regular speed, hence, fast??

Kanazawa Sensei, who is my Kata Video go-to authority, and in any of his video's he's shown executing said Kata slow, at different angles. I like that. A student can catch many nuances this way, whereas, if done at regular speed/fast, those nuances can be missed.

Yet, I've seen just as many fast Kata as I've seen slow. Yes, preferences dictate which is more preferable, but, for me, it gets lost in the haze of which way is the best.

I believe that a Video of a Kata should be slow to show the proper sequences and the like, and thereafter, the CI/Sensei can fine tune learnt/learning Kata with tempo/rhythm and the like.

After all, isn't an instructional video nothing more than a reference tool outside of the dojo??

In advance, thank you for any assistance/advise/opinions!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I, for one, am thrilled with this turn of events!

I think, for demonstration videos, that slow with metronomic timing is probably the best. It keeps things clear and simple for the viewer, and things can be fine-tuned from there.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news!

I'm in agreement. Slow is better at a learnable pace. I would also show it at the pace it is to properly be performed at. As a suggestion, I'd put a few angles in there. Front, side, back, and a 45 degree shot that you feel best represents the movements. This kind of thing can be great for building 3 dimensional learning.

We're currently looking at Gumroad for cutting DVDs for internet download in regards to instructionals. It's what my PTK coach uses for his platform. It might be something to look at for you down the road.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably best to show both slow and fast if the intent is to create a resource for instructors and students. Execute the techniques as if teaching them to a student for the first time and then as an example of how a competent dan level student would be expected to do them. From a student's point of view this would be very helpful and it would also leave instructor a good example of a standard.

The big question is, however, what do YOU want to produce? is it just for demonstration or is it instructional?

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, from a student perspective a slow go of the kata with verbal comments and notes about what is going on would be good.

Good luck!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sparticus was getting at, the intent of the video will determine what you do. Are the videos instructional, demonstration, reference, etc.? Will there be verbal instructions, or will it simply be a video of someone performing a kata?

There's a whole series of Kyokushin kata on YouTube. It has a karateka performing a kata to a count from someone out of view. No explanation of technique, not done fast nor slow; simply as it would be performed in the dojo with a teacher counting off steps. People criticized it a little in the comments section, but they missed the point: it's a reference. If you've been taught the kata and are home practicing it and draw a blank on a step. Or if you've just learned it and don't want to practice it wrong at home. Or for uniformity across dojos.

For those purposes, it works quite well. For showing the world how pretty a kata can be, or for competition, it falls on its face.

I really like Kanazawa's videos. My criticism of them is you don't know the counts and can't see what's going on too well when he has his back to the camera.

If I were to do a video, I'd first do the kata like the Kyokushin video, followed immediately by the way Kanazawa does it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rock1v3ywcM

Playing devil's advocate...

I understand the resistance to the videos. Kaicho Nakamura made Seido DVDs for each kyu rank, with all the material for each rank. He's not a big fan of them. According to my teacher, students in various dojos have used them to teach themselves stuff above their rank. Students have argued with teachers about what's right according to the videos. A student or two has been corrected DURING TESTING and told NAKAMURA '...according to your video...' It's not a common thing, and there's nothing to stop students from getting together and teaching each other stuff outside their rank outside the dojo, so take it as you will. We also have written reference manuals that people have cited when making mistakes and/or tried to learn from. Again, they're intended as a reference, not a teaching tool.

As a student, I'd like videos to be available as a free reference. There's a few things I'm working on right now that I want to practice on my own, but I know I'll practice them wrong and do more harm than good. And I don't want to pay for a video that I'm only going to refer to about 5 minutes of. I know, I'm being cheap and shouldn't expect to have it both ways. The stuff I'd like is Seido specific, and no one's posted anything about it online.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have produced some vidoes for my students and can only comment on what they have found helpful:

1. A demo or performance demonstration of the kata done at speed.

2. A slow instructional of the basic movements, with both a front and side view, and any additional angles needed if the kata has an unusual embusen.

3. A slow video but one containing exacting details one does not generally stress when simply trying to learn the kata. One they can go back to when they have the shape of the kata but want to improve.

4. A pace video with verbal commands they can follow to practice the kata at speed. I generally do two of these, one of me just performing the kata as I do, then one where I fix myself to a clock and follow specific timing. I do this because it allows the student a choice of flexibility in the pace they go.

As it is an instructional then multiple videos I find are most useful because you never know what the student in particular might need. An advance student might want one to check themselves against in which case a base line this is how you get through the kata video might not work, but to someone new to the system a more thorough explanation would merely be lost of them when they just want to get the shape right.

In general, to film the slow videos I generally perform the kata slowly, because I find it looks more natural and gives better details than doing the kata at proper speed then slowing it down. Also, if doing the kata at speed you might want to check your pace, because some cameras will not have the frame rate to pick one's movements up well, and might create blurry effects.

Either way; good luck.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I greatly appreciate everyone's posts; gives me a lot to think about.

These DVD's will be provided to Shindokan students free.

They're not demonstrational based!!

They'll be a referencing tool.

At the present time, students have their handbooks to reference. While these handbooks do contain Kata material relation to their rank, a picture, or video in this case, is worth a thousand words.

One last thing, the Hombu called me this morning to inform me that after some consideration, they're authorizing my project. GREAT...WHO CARES?...SHUT UP...because of my position, I don't need authority, and I certainly don't need permission for this project. They're trying to assume a position that they don't possess. Thanks anyway!! Time to have a serious heart to heart talk with the upper hierarchy, the sooner, the better.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fast Or Slow?? Reply with quote

"Should the Kata's be executed slow or should they be executed at regular speed, hence, fast?? "

IMO - i like to see it both ways. I've seen many videos that do it both slow and regular speed. But its just my preference. Just my 3 cents

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with this Bob. Would be great to see Shindokan as its meant to be performed.

I'd agree with others about both a slow version and then one showing your normal timing. Slow and measured so the students can see how each move should be executed but also faster so they can see how the kata should be.

If you are able to do so, it might help even to have some further video focusing on particularly challenging sections or some of the applications with a partner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: