Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Favored form or kata Reply with quote

Forms are a staple of training in a great variety of systems, especially those from China, Okinawa and Japan. There are many accounts of exponents and notable practitioners specializing in one or two forms.

Of all the kata/forms taught in your system, which one could you rely on the most? Which is your specialty and of which one are you most knowledgeable and capable?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my most reliable is Seisan (Surprisingly) as it does have several techniques that are unique to it and not found in other katas from my school.

But my most knowledgable and capable is Suparenpei.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager, my friend fell in love with Seisan, and I fell in love with Wanshu. We spent hours practicing our respective favorite kata. However, as I got older, I found myself practicing techniques in the Pinan set more than anything. I found myself employed those techniques in sparring, and have focused a lot of time on those.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saiha. To me it seems brutally effective and simple. No movements that seem like they'd only work if the stars and planets are aligned a certain way.

Honestly, If I trained Sanchin daily the way I think it should be trained (see Uechi Ryu Sanchin testing) and worked on perfecting applications for Saiha everyday, I'd need very, very little else IMO. Not that that wouldn't get monotonous after several years though.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Favored form or kata Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Of all the kata/forms taught in your system, which one could you rely on the most?

Each and every single one of them!! One, not more important than another because each, in their own unique ways, offer something effective within an unbeknown parameter, found in and out of Oyo Bunkai!!

From the most basic to the most advanced, each one offers more than one can ever imagine; practitioners are only limited by their own lack.

Quote:
Which is your specialty and of which one are you most knowledgeable and capable?

Within Shindokan?? Every single kata, both open hand and weapons; none more special than another!! I've more than an passable avid capability and knowledge within Shindokan.

We're taught, and we teach, to favor not one single kata, both open and weapons, over another another. To do so, that, right there, limits us beyond any foreseen forgone conclusions that might be controlled by outside forces.

That's just who we are, by and through the manner of which we were taught by Soke and Dai-Soke, and that's what we strive for; equality of knowledge, and not selective knowledge.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is Naihanchi. Admittedly, I practice two versions of Naihanchi, but even so, everything is Naihanchi. From a structural and application perspective, you don't really need anything else. I do still like Tawada Passai quite a bit, though, as well as Seiyunchin
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say Sanchin and Sil Lim Tau

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was Gae Baek. I absolutely loved that form, and did it a lot. Since I've been in my current organization, it was probably my most successful form in competition, too.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Shindokan, I do favor two Kata's, each have helped me during my weekend warrior days. They are...

Unsu
Wankan

Both from Shotokan. Wankan is the shortest Shotokan Dan kata, but contains a treasure trove of applications. Unsu, is of course, longer than Wankan, but it's akin to a tornado inside of a volcano; transition movements are all over the place, but the resolve of the kata is undeniable...and its applications, well, I've not ran out of effective Oyo Bunkai yet.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chinto is my favourite kata. When it done right, it's a beautiful kata. The flow is very graceful. I not practiced it much lately due to working on others for an upcoming competition and my dan grading.

Mo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: