Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Gazhudson18
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: okinawan goju ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Feeling a technique Reply with quote

Hi everybody I am currently a 1st kyu brown belt in okinawan goju ryu and am hoping to grade for my black belt in June but I'm having a problem with feeling techniques both in my kata and basics. My sensei says my techniques are strong and sharp and the video footage she has shown me of myself looks good too but I just don't feel the techniques are strong and sharp when I am doing them. I don't know if I'm being overly critical of myself (although I think a black belt, which I am hoping to be, should always be self critical). My hip movement doesn't feel like it looks if that makes sense. Any help would be much appreciated

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not wanting to test, as you've explained, then you have the right to decline the invitation to that testing cycle. After all, you must FEEL that testing cycle no matter what, or whom, this might affect. Your Sensei might, and that's a big word in the MA, feel offended that because you're wanting to decline the invitation, you're questioning his abilities as your CI.

Otherwise, attend the testing cycle as scheduled and DO YOUR BEST!! Remember this, the testing cycle will take care of itself, and in that, if you pass, you pass, and if you fail, you fail. Also, you don't have to score a 100% to pass because that's unreasonable of any CI/Governing Body, imho!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that you having that feeling like something isn't working for you.

That is a sign that you are nearly complete in packing for the journey that is a Black Belt.

If it looks good, but to you doesn't feel right then it means that you have potential to grow the more you train. I having that feeling every time i train, and I just think what can I do to change that feeling? Is it timing, how I twist my hips or whatever it is.

At the end of the day, you are unique to what you feel and you will adjust to what feels right.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Nidan Melbourne on this one--it looks right to others, but it doesn't feel right to you, and that means you have to form down, but need to work on internalizing it and developing the details. That's the kind of thing that happens when you're a black belt
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good thing that you're recognising this. All part of the 4 stages of learning.

You're now straddling the line between Conscious Competence and Conscious Incompetence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a natural process as others have stated. At some point we stop concentrating on what others are teaching and start listening to what our body is trying to teach us. We start analyzing every movement and concentrating on small details. If you think about it, it really makes sense. We strive for perfection of oneself. At some point in your training the body has been trained, muscle memory set and the fine details need to be focused on. This is a good thing. Looking good is wonderful if your in a movie but your brain is telling you there is something not quite right. Focus on these issues and you will become a better Karateka by correcting them.

As you mature in the art you also mature as a person and begin to realize your limitations and strengths. You hone in on those little imperfections that no one including your Sensei can see and they become mountainous to you until corrected. This is self awareness. This is a good thing.

As to whether to test or not? This is something that no one here at KF can tell you. You and you alone must decide what is right for you. If you feel that you are ready and deserving of the grade then test. If you do not feel ready then respectfully talk to your Sensei and explain that you are not ready and do not test. Either way this is your journey.
However as you stated your Sensei see things you do not and knows your level of progress. I would personally have a heart to heart with your Sensei and see what she thinks about this. Be honest in your self assessment and tell her what you have been feeling. Get feed back and then make a decision.

Good luck. What ever decision you make will be the right one for you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your instructor thinks you are ready to test, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't test. You can still be critical of yourself, and keep working to improve; that shouldn't change, even if you do start to "feel" the techniques.

Being critical of oneself can be a good thing, but I think at times it can be taken a bit too far, which could end up holding you back. In the end, its a decision you have to make for yourself. Either way, you have to just keep on keepin' on.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked not to be tested a few more than I care to count, but, I must ask myself this...who's teaching who?? What gives me the right to tell my Sensei when I do or when I don't want to test?? That should be left to my Sensei...after all, he's the teacher and I'm just the student...I came to him, he didn't come to me.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
If your instructor thinks you are ready to test, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't test. You can still be critical of yourself, and keep working to improve; that shouldn't change, even if you do start to "feel" the techniques.

Being critical of oneself can be a good thing, but I think at times it can be taken a bit too far, which could end up holding you back. In the end, its a decision you have to make for yourself. Either way, you have to just keep on keepin' on.

To the bold above; I totally agree.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Sensei thinks you are ready then you are ready.

Why are you second guessing yourself or allowing hesitations to creep in, self doubt and all other negative thoughts haven't stopped you thus far so why bother giving more unnecessary importance to them.

ANTS

Automatic Negative Thought-S

Feeling the Synchronicity of mind body and spirit (inner glow) with martial arts takes time, perhaps your Sensei can see your glow before you feel it, perhaps some positive thoughts and feelings are enough to let the electrical impulses connect.

Stay positive, be optimistic, trust in yourself and your abilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: