Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Fighter taps out so he doesn't hurt opponent... Reply with quote

I saw this on MMA Underground the other day. I thought it was interesting: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/444091/Beautiful-fighter-taps-out-to-save-opponent-punishment

The dominating fighter, Mike Pantangco, was really outclassing his opponent. He got the sense that his opponent wouldn't give in, so instead of seriously hurting him, he kneeled down and tapped out of the fight, giving his opponent, Jeremy Rasner, the win.

Interesting set of circumstances, and a very interesting take by the forfeiting fighter. What are other's thoughts here? Could you or would you take a loss like that?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! I'd take the lose. Why? There's more to gain than to lose by tapping out as Pantangco did; for both fighters. Imho, he demonstrated bushido to the nth degree. Win or lose; they're not as important as ones MA betterment, imho!!

I bow to him for his actions!! Instead of hurting Rasner, he choose to tap out; awesome sportsmanship!!

Thanks for sharing it, Brian!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, Bob. Glad you enjoyed it.

Now, here is the flip side of the coin. Shouldn't the other fighter realize he is outclassed, and concede the loss to the superior fighter? Why should the onus be put on the more talented, more capable fighter?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Now, here is the flip side of the coin. Shouldn't the other fighter realize he is outclassed, and concede the loss to the superior fighter? Why should the onus be put on the more talented, more capable fighter?

I can't answer that! He should've, but he didn't for his own reasons.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!
I'm impressed!
He had three choices, pound an inferior fighter, sit back and coast, or bow out respectfully.
It's indeed a display of bushido to the nth degree !

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I can only suppose that quitting for him isn't in his make-up to do so because no matter what the outcome might've been, he was going to continue until the fight ended on way or another. And to quit, to bow out, would've been worse for HIM than for him losing the fight at the hands of the superior fighter.

Again, I'm only guessing!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I can only suppose that quitting for him isn't in his make-up to do so because no matter what the outcome might've been, he was going to continue until the fight ended on way or another. And to quit, to bow out, would've been worse for HIM than for him losing the fight at the hands of the superior fighter.

Again, I'm only guessing!!

I suppose that could be. It could be as simple as pride, too. Either way, the fighter's actions were commendable, but not necessary, in my opinion.

Archimoto wrote:
Wow!!!
I'm impressed!
He had three choices, pound an inferior fighter, sit back and coast, or bow out respectfully.
It's indeed a display of bushido to the nth degree !

Is it truly Bushido? I don't know that it is. I think it was a compassionate gesture, to be sure, but not much to do with Bushido, in my opinion.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Should the ref not have stopped the fight if one fighter was majorly outclassed?

TBH I wouldn't necessarily agree it's bushido either. Maybe I'm just a little cynical but I'd rather have seen him sit back and coast. A little humiliating to the other fighter maybe? Is there anything with Rasner's reaction to the "win"? They were barely halfway through the first round, he denied Rasner the opportunity to try to come back in the second round and have a fight. It's an amateur bout so he was only there to have a fight and get some experience.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't if its the ref's job to stop the fight at that point. The guy could actively defend himself, even though he was doing a poor job of it. It wasn't a safety issue in the sense that he couldn't mount a proper defense. I'm not sure what kind of leeway the ref would have in that instance.

I agree with sitting back and coasting, though. The fight could have been an experience for both of them. The superior fighter could have worked on some different skills, and the inferior fighter would have gained some valuable ring experience.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I don't if its the ref's job to stop the fight at that point. The guy could actively defend himself, even though he was doing a poor job of it. It wasn't a safety issue in the sense that he couldn't mount a proper defense. I'm not sure what kind of leeway the ref would have in that instance.

I agree with sitting back and coasting, though. The fight could have been an experience for both of them. The superior fighter could have worked on some different skills, and the inferior fighter would have gained some valuable ring experience.

I agree - not the refs job to determine who trained harder. One wins and one looses all bouts - sometimes is less clear cut then other times.

That guy is a good sport - he proved what he wanted to, and he was done. wow

I think he should be praised to not literally beating the guys head into the floor for the sake of doing it. Like Sensei8 said, bushido to the max, a martial artist in the truest sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: