Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Sensei8, replacing sugar with honey is a good thing; as long as it is done in moderation.

Had my fair share of battles regarding food.
Having a sweet tooth, a proper reasonable diet was out of the question.

We are bombarded with food temptations at every turn.

Festive occasions are the worse, with Christmas soon upon us, just thinking about it, I feel the calories wanting to cling on to my waist.

As martial artist we train to defeat human opponents, we also need to fight unhealthy food temptations.

Having bad eating habits doesn't effect all of us the same way, depending on other factors that are usually related to how active a person is.

Knowing how to use "the after burn effect" to one's benefit can go a long way in keeping fit and trim.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Part of eating is eating what you enjoy. Insects, I would not enjoy eating. Steak, I do enjoy eating. Hence, I will choose steak over insects.

how do you know insects don't taste as good as a steak? Deep fried cicadas for example are supposed be pretty close to lobster (which coincidentally were once upon a time the food of poverty).

....and, have you substantiated this yet????

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Part of eating is eating what you enjoy. Insects, I would not enjoy eating. Steak, I do enjoy eating. Hence, I will choose steak over insects.

how do you know insects don't taste as good as a steak? Deep fried cicadas for example are supposed be pretty close to lobster (which coincidentally were once upon a time the food of poverty).

Never had the opportunity but I'll give anything a go at least once. Fried cicadas, locusts, even tarantulas are popular street food in places like China and Thailand so if I ever get to go to that part of the world I wouldn't say no to trying them.

Though actually thinking about it, I would bet nearly everyone on this forum has enjoyed insects as part of their food at some point in their life. Anyone who has had foods containing the red colouring E120 or Carmine has as it is made from ground cochineal insects. Also shellac (used as a glazing for sweets and pills etc.) is sourced from bug excretions.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Never had the opportunity but I'll give anything a go at least once. Fried cicadas, locusts, even tarantulas are popular street food in places like China and Thailand so if I ever get to go to that part of the world I wouldn't say no to trying them.

Though actually thinking about it, I would bet nearly everyone on this forum has enjoyed insects as part of their food at some point in their life. Anyone who has had foods containing the red colouring E120 or Carmine has as it is made from ground cochineal insects. Also shellac (used as a glazing for sweets and pills etc.) is sourced from bug excretions.
Interesting that little Lac Beatle, it buries it's head into a tree for most of it's life, eats the sap and excretes the shellac. Then the shellec, because it is edible, is coated on to M&Ms to make them nice and shiny.

So if it wasn't enough that chocolate contains insect fragments, can just imagine legs and antennas, bug eyes and wings all suspended in a chocolate sweet, coated in lac Beatle excrement.

Point being, that we usually don't know what we are eating. Consider for a moment, that in the past, we would drink the milk from one cow.

Today with dairy farming, all that milk from a heard of cows is all mixed together. We could be drinking the DNA from 40 cows in one glass of milk.

The same for chicken soups, that one cup could contain the DNA of 100 chickens or more.

Just some food for thought, getting hungry yet?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...it's official...NO MORE M&M's for me EVER AGAIN!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
To Sensei8, replacing sugar with honey is a good thing; as long as it is done in moderation.

Had my fair share of battles regarding food.
Having a sweet tooth, a proper reasonable diet was out of the question.

We are bombarded with food temptations at every turn.

Festive occasions are the worse, with Christmas soon upon us, just thinking about it, I feel the calories wanting to cling on to my waist.

As martial artist we train to defeat human opponents, we also need to fight unhealthy food temptations.

Having bad eating habits doesn't effect all of us the same way, depending on other factors that are usually related to how active a person is.

Knowing how to use "the after burn effect" to one's benefit can go a long way in keeping fit and trim.

Solid post!!

I use very little, if any, honey on the very few cereal types that I eat; for the most, I just use 1% milk, and nothing else, well, with the exception of a bowl and a spoon.

Salt is GONE!!
Sugar is GONE!!

Don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but I was quite surprised that when I went cold-turkey with my unhealthy eating habits, it was easy and immediate. No cold sweating...no with drawls...no nothing. That includes me doing a cheat once in a while...no way and no how. My life depends on me being serious and not lackadaisical, but being proactive to fight those temptations that do surround us.

Sure, when I'm shopping I might see something that I use to eat, and miss it, but I walk right by it and don't give into any temptations. I love fast food...I don't miss McDonalds or Wendy's or TacoBell or Jack in the Box or any other fast food establishment. That too was cold-turkey!!

My life depends on me being proactive for nothing but a healthy life style for that quality of life!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed:

Salt is gone!!!
Sugar is gone!!!

Did you know that one of the worst offenders of obesity is orange juice.

So out with the enemies and in with the friends.

Foods martial artists should be eating.

Seeds are good. They help to fix micro fibres.

Papaya and pineapple are good for helping pain receptors. Perhaps this is why Muay Thai boxers can punish their shins so much when training.

Cooking in an iron wok puts the needed iron in to your food.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

There are a lot of things popular in the orient that I do not plan to put in my mouth.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'll still eat M&Ms, though. I won't be scared off.

The thing with food, in my mind, is to not get too caught up in the whole process. Control the portions, make sure to exercise, and enjoy life!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
OK...it's official...NO MORE M&M's for me EVER AGAIN!!

More for me then!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: