Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

david123
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey....as a student. i like it when the instructor does something fun with it.
try putting it into self defense and things like that also try to help people use it in kumite......also teach kizami geri(kicking with front leg) and tobi migeri(jumping)

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article... a stimulating read. It sounds like you're describing the front snap kick (you say the knee should be kept high throughout the extension). The distinct front rising kick (e.g. kicking into the groin) really benefits from that tight, hard, knee-like initial lift you're drilling, and front thrust kick is a great one for keeping a closing opponent at bay. I focus on these distinctions more than described in your article, but know there's a lot to be said for not getting students bogged down in detail. Really like your numbering system and #3 / #4 variants... there's a lot of directions and distances that would still qualify kicks using those numbers, so it challenges students to pick something appropriate to their situation while still using a specific footwork and kicking leg: that's incredibly useful drill, and reminds me of the drills Tyson used to practice punches, with each technique similarly numbered: a wonderfully tight, disciplined way to train.

Thanks and regards,
Tony

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate them.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Kick Class Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
#1 Front Kick

From the fighting stance, simply pick the front leg up and kick. This kick can be a good defensive technique, like a stop-kick against an opponent rushing in. A good way to practice this is with a partner wearing a chest protector, or holding a kicking shield while moving toward the defender. It can also be used as an offensive weapon.

#2 Front Kick

From the fighting stance, the #2 front kick comes off the back leg. The kick can either be returned to the back leg position, or it can be set down in front and followed up by a #2 front kick with the other leg. The latter option makes for a good floor drill. It is important to note that with the #1 and #2 front kicks, the non-kicking foot does not move prior to the kick.

#3 Front Kick

To perform this kick, the back foot first moves, and then the front leg kicks. A common way to perform this kick is to do a replacement step, bringing the back foot next to the front foot, and then kicking with the original front leg. Another option is to move the back foot in a side stepping motion to create an angle, and then kicking with the front leg.

#4 Front Kick

This kick is the counterpart to the #3 front kick. The front foot moves first, and then the student kicks with the back leg. A common method of doing this kick is to perform a replacement step backwards, bringing the front foot to the back foot, and then kicking with the original back leg. The student can also do a side step with the front leg to create an angle, and then follow with the back leg kick.

Excellent article.
Funnily enough, these four training mechanisms are the ways I have drilled the "simple" (which can be anything but simple) front kick in Kyokushin classes!

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Great Breakdown!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: