Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

brennan the rabbit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: wing chun goju ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: gojuryu and aikido Reply with quote

i train in gojuryu karate i have a friend whos a fourth dan in aikido he offered to train me for free in aikido and ill teach him some stuff but i dont know if its a good idea he said he would teach me three times a week should i do it or would it hurt my gojuryu

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: gojuryu and aikido Reply with quote

brennan the rabbit wrote:
i train in gojuryu karate i have a friend whos a fourth dan in aikido he offered to train me for free in aikido and ill teach him some stuff but i dont know if its a good idea he said he would teach me three times a week should i do it or would it hurt my gojuryu

That depends on you and your schedule. If you have the time to devote to each then do it. If you do not have the time then I would stick with your original art.

I guess the question is how many days a week do you already devote to Goju and will you have the time outside of class to practice what you have been taught. The problem is you only spend so much time in class learning the curriculum. If you do not train outside of class this will effect your own progress and slow your ability to absorb all of the material. Remember your Sensei has a finite amount of time to teach you what he needs to. This doesn't leave much personal time for you to practice what was taught in class, thus the necessity to practice outside of class.

If you do not have other responsibilities standing in your way and can devote the time necessary to both arts, go for it. If you find that you are unable to do both and give both the proper time they deserve then you will have to choose.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never a bad idea to have more options. Think of it like that. It's not so much that they're conflicting but merely offering other options.

Example- how to fight from a clinch-
A wrestler may prefer to shoot
A judoka throw or trip
A Thai boxer knee
A western boxer dirty box

You're could say they conflict with one another, but I'd say they merely offer more options-l, which is never a bad thing

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training on hard floors and then on padded mats will be a challenge. Doing Aikido on a hard surface is not for everyone.

Practicing Aikido rolls on concrete or marble flooring can boost a maists confidence.

Your Wing Chun combined with Aikido is a harmonious blend with both arts having a good understanding of being on line and off line when simultaneously attacking and defending.

Also keeping physical (controlling) contact with the opponent is also associated with Wing Chun and Aikido.

Aikido and Karate both go together like Yin/Yang giving you more options depending on the combative situation.

Drake
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do, Tendo Ryu Aikido, Gracie Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar hesitation when I started to train both shotokan karate and aikido parallel to each other.
At first I had to stay very conscious of what I was doing and it is quite a challenge for me! Yet it completes each other in a very interesting manner. It offers you options also. During aikido training I recognize techniques that are hidden in the karate kata and at karate training I am able to perform locks and throws more skilled than my fellow karatekas. For instance applying a wrist lock from katas like bassai dai is recognized by me as the nikyo in aikido and there I learned to use my flow and center to execute it effectively.

In general I feel a more complete martial artist.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Aikido for a short time while I was still doing TKD, and there were spots where I could easily see I could slip in a kick or a strike when executing the throws and holds. Since TKD was my primary style, it was easier to see where it applied. As you get more years in, you'll see where you can slip Aikido into Goju.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido and goju is an awsome cross-training combination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: