Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Symphony-x
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Freestyle Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing; Used to do TKD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Good Idea Reply with quote

Well currently I do karate, and i'm best using my hands rather than kicking. I also do boxing, which is probably why im better/more confident with my hands.

Anyway, I was considering doing some either WTF or ITF TKD [again] every so often between trainings to help improve my kicking.

Good idea?

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that three arts at once is such a good idea. If you want to work on another art, drop one of your existing ones so you can concentrate more on your new one until you get a good understanding of the new art.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordtariel has a good suggestion. If you feel confident in your boxing skills, then leave the boxing or karate for a while, and start up the TKD to improve your kicking. Two arts at a time would be a little more manageble than 3.

Also, check with several different TKD schools, and see if there is one that offers a kicking drills class in there schedule. That would be more conducive to your training, seeing as you have some prior experience.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any chance that you might be taught techniques in TKD that are considered incorrect in your karate system? Perhaps you just need more reps - alone, or with a friend - to improve your kicking?

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well currently I do karate, and i'm best using my hands rather than kicking. I also do boxing, which is probably why im better/more confident with my hands.

Anyway, I was considering doing some either WTF or ITF TKD [again] every so often between trainings to help improve my kicking.

Good idea?

If you have the time and inclination to pick up another art then i say go for it. The human body is pretty smart, and im sure you will naturally get into the mindset of each art you are training at the time which should take care of any confusion between arts. Also you may want to consider kickboxing or muay thai for some added kicking skill. Let us know how it goes.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, maybe not everyone can handle 3 arts at once, but if you've been doing the two for a while and are used to the strain on your time and energy and think that doing another would be fine, I think that trying out one of those TKD's would be a good idea.

I personally had 4 yrs experience in karate and had a hard time when I did TKD (for a semester at school) because when people kick me and don't pull it back, I catch. When I make a front stance I want the target that is me to be small, so I turn my body, and that's just not what you do there. So, since it was geared toward the "sport" it wasn't as applicable in my more towards the "art" branch of MA or my now, more towards the "self-defense" branch of MA.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Symphony-x
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Freestyle Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing; Used to do TKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well currently I train 2 days a week boxing and 3 karate. but i also have college and alot of time off. in this free time I know there is WTF TKD classes where my boxing is with a 5th Dan instructor, so I thought it was a good idea.

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took up TKD to improve my kumite speed and skills and it did just that. If you are grounded in your karate there is not a problem with the techniques...you just have to "add" to your skill set rather than change them.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony-x wrote:
well currently I train 2 days a week boxing and 3 karate. but i also have college and alot of time off. in this free time I know there is WTF TKD classes where my boxing is with a 5th Dan instructor, so I thought it was a good idea.

Ah, to have that much time to spend on martial arts... I did notice that your profile said you've done some TKD in the past so it might not be as big a deal to take it up. Personally, I would only stick to two arts at most, but if you have the time and aren't worried about MA burnout then go for it.

frightmaster
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if your asking which TKD style to study I would only say to go to a few schools and see what is taught. WTF TKD is olympic style and is bring in punching but still is 90% kicks. ITF incorporates both but I would guess about 75%kicking (I can be wrong on percentage for ITF). I would, as others stated, stay with 1 and maybe 2 types of fight training at a time as your body will not remember movements and progressing would be slowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: