Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News, Unknown News. Reply with quote

Well, the good news is that I do not have a ruptured disk. In fact, nothing is wrong with my lower back.

The bad news is that the issue may not be easily solved.

The unknown news is that there may be a problem with my brain (beyond my disturbing sense of humor). My doc (I now have a doc) is sending me to a neurologist for MS testing. Until that appointment, I am largely ignoring any potential issues. Only my other half knows. If the news turns out bad then I will let others know. Good thing she is a nurse and can direct me to good docs.

So the issues I have with leg numbness and lack of coordination may continue to affect my karate training.

Good thing I am going to school for a double major in Managerial Accounting and Finance. Then I can make a living with my brain and not my body.

One of the biggest concerns that I am ignoring for the moment is how it will affect my training. I guess that is a concern for another day.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is always good, and in that, I'm glad to hear that your disc isn't ruptured, and that your lower back is good!!

What I believe is important is that the training always needs to take a back seat to ones health, that being the MA. It'll be there when the time is right, and not until then, and if you must walk away from it for a much better quality of life, then so be it!!

You're in my prayers and thoughts!!

Hang in there, do what you must do, utilize your sources/network, including, and especially your wife, and continue your education, which, sounds like a great thing and idea!!

Here's the one thing that I did when I was diagnosed with Afib...I read...I read a lot, and most of it was not hopeful, at all, if any. That's just me...I will read and read and read just to try to understand that which I don't understand. Both my GP and my Cardiologist, especially my Cardiologist has told me to stop reading, and trust them. Well, trust has to be earned, and I'm not use to trusting right off the bat. Reading about the unnerving things causes me stress, and stress is not good for anyone, particularly those with Afib because stress is counter productive across the board.

So, read, but in moderation, and not obsessively!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Good news is always good, and in that, I'm glad to hear that your disc isn't ruptured, and that your lower back is good!!

What I believe is important is that the training always needs to take a back seat to ones health, that being the MA. It'll be there when the time is right, and not until then, and if you must walk away from it for a much better quality of life, then so be it!!

You're in my prayers and thoughts!!

Hang in there, do what you must do, utilize your sources/network, including, and especially your wife, and continue your education, which, sounds like a great thing and idea!!

Here's the one thing that I did when I was diagnosed with Afib...I read...I read a lot, and most of it was not hopeful, at all, if any. That's just me...I will read and read and read just to try to understand that which I don't understand. Both my GP and my Cardiologist, especially my Cardiologist has told me to stop reading, and trust them. Well, trust has to be earned, and I'm not use to trusting right off the bat. Reading about the unnerving things causes me stress, and stress is not good for anyone, particularly those with Afib because stress is counter productive across the board.

So, read, but in moderation, and not obsessively!!

Thank you for your concern. It is much appreciated.

I can easily fall into that trap of reading to much. Fortunately, I have too much going on to fall into that trap for the moment. It is part of the reason I am not telling others around me. It would distract me from doing what needs to be done. At this moment it is unknown until a diagnosis. I will continue to train as the symptoms do not seem to be affecting that other than lacking grace, which I have never had. I seriously feel like Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo when I do Kata. I also am operating on the theory that doing more to help with balance, coordination, and strength will be a net benefit in the end. I also want to continue to do what I can to be an example for my daughter. I accept that the day may come when I have to limit my training. But, today is not that day. Depending on what happens, I may be able to write something like a guide for practitioners with physical limitations. I know, too much too soon. I have to know what I am talking about first.

I know I am also fortunate to have had almost 40 years (so far) of great health. Others are not so fortunate.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

I had a nerve conductivity test in my legs. I have been too busy to get the results. I will have time Thursday. I also started PT once a week. They are mostly concerned with keeping my back in alignment. I am not hopeful for a reduction in the numbness from PT.

Late next month I have an appointment with a Neurologist. My doc seemed concerned with the white matter lesions in my head, but when the neuro got my records he was not as concerned.

I think for the time being that they are throwing the kitchen sink at me in the hopes of something sticking. So far they have ruled out...
Lyme,
Guillon Barre,
Disk problem (I thought this was it)
and the neuro is going to be investigating Multiple Sclerosis. I have no family history of this. I suspect that it will lead to nothing and the numbness will go undiagnosed.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this LLLEARNER.

I hope your doc can find out the root cause soon and start you on the path to recovery and rehabilitation. Most important thing is to look after yourself, the training can wait.

You might want to give this a read: http://www.karateforums.com/my-journey-in-the-dojo-vt4858.html
I don't think they've been on the forum for a while but SaiFightsMS was diagnosed with MS and continued to train Karate.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Any updates?

Nothing new until I call my doc for the results of the nerve conductivity test tomorrow. Then a trip to the neurologist late next month.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did I think last night was Thursday?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this, LLLEARNER. It can be so frustrating not to know what's going on. Hoping for the best here.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the results of the nerve conductivity test.
Apparently I am all normal.
Next step is a trip to the Neurologist later this month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: