Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spsosicmcise
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Greetings from Okinawa Reply with quote

Hello all, well Let me just start off by say I'm a complete noob with no MA experience but I'm looking to change that. Being that I live in Oki my oldest son was wanting to get involved in traditional karate so I started doing a little research for him, so we could make some sound decisions.

I went to the base library and I found two books a little younger than myself and had him look through them and he was all about it. The two books were traditional karatedo Okinawa Goju Ryu by Morio Higaonna. I ended up reading them too and then went down the rabbit hole on YouTube looking at traditional Goju Ryu karate. That led me to look at kinds of stuff I never knew about and before you knew it I was interested too.

Lucky for me I'm in Okinawa and there are lots of Dojos around. Unlucky for me I'm in Okinawa and not all of them speak English and I don't speak Japanese nor do my sons. I'm looking forward to starting something new with my sons. I'm just a little cautious because of the language barrier, having been deployed all over I know how easy it is to screw something up by doing something so small (to you) because you don't fully understand the language and culture. Im still looking around right now for a place to start training and hopefully after the boys football is done they will join me. I hope to learn a lot on this island and on this forum.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I think a lot of us here will be envious (in a good way) that you have this unique opportunity to train full time in the homeland and heart of what many consider true karate. I know I'm a bit envious.

Not knowing the language, nor probably more importantly the customs can be nerve wracking. I've heard the Okinawans are very accepting of foreigners and forgiving when they unknowingly make these mistakes. I've never been there, so my perception could very well be wrong.

There are several people here who've trained karate in Okinawa, and a few others who train there semi-regularly. I'm quite sure they'd be willing to give you a heads up on some rules and customs. Your best bet may be to start a thread in the karate or general martial arts section of the forum. They may also be able to point you in the direction of a dojo or two they know if you're looking for that as well.

But with what you've said in mind, pick a dojo and not a style. The most important things are the teacher and your prospective classmates. How the teacher organizes class, how he/she relates and treats the students, and how the students train alongside you are going to be far more important at this stage (and pretty much any stage) than the style itself. I think this is more critical for you personally as may feel like a stranger in a strange land trying to get in.

You and your sons have a great opportunity. Make the most of it! And keep in mind every single karateka (karate practicioner) had a first day. We (including the greatest masters) were once the guy/gal who showed up one day knowing nothing at all and wondered what was going to happen. The difference between us then and now is we stuck around and kept at it. There's no secret, magical, nor mystical qualities that separated any of us.
Edit: Reading this before posting it, I think I may have come off as saying I'm some kind of expert or something in those last few lines; far from it!

I look forward to hearing how your journey goes. Please keep us updated!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two videos I love regarding karate in Okinawa are Tee: The Spirit of Okinawan Karate and Samurai Spirit: Karate. Maybe look those up to give a sense of why I'm so envious. Hopefully those documentaries aren't an exaggeration of what really goes on.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome. I take Karate with my daughter. It is worth it.

I sometimes daydream about getting a job in Japan so I can study MA there.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Spsosicmcise
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and guidance guys. I'm not attached to any style right now so I'm trying to keep an open mind. There are several dojos around my house all different styles that I'm gonna look into. Don't worry JR Im here for advice so I didn't take what you said the wrong way.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Spsosicmsise

It is hard to start something where there can be a language barrier. But always give it a try and you'll pick up things quite quickly you'll be surprise.

Yes it will be difficult and scary at first but you never know it will be very exciting at the same time

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky to be finding an interest in karate while living in the birthplace of karate! Don't worry too much about the language barrier. Karate can largely be learned physically, at least to start with, and most dojo will have a few people who speak some English, even if the instructor doesn't. The Okinawan people tend to be quite friendly and welcoming, so it shouldn't be an issue to get some help when you need it! I hope you and your son enjoy the experience!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, and welcome to the Martial Arts journey!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, Spsosicmcise; glad that you're here!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: