Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBSD
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai Ryu & Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: GRK International Reply with quote

Hi all, first post.

Has anyone ever heard of, trained with, or worked for GKR International (Karate). I've seen them advertising positions within their organisation on several occasions offering free training to Black belt plus instructor qualifications.

I have expirience as an instructor of both Shukokai Ryu Karate where I obtained 1st Dan, also of Wado Ryu Karate where I obtained 1st Kyu as well as gaining 2 x under 16's national titles, so expect to have a fair chance of securing a position with them, should I decide to apply.

My question is, is it for real? Sounds a bit too good to be true, or am I just being pesamistic?

Any views or feedback on them would be greatly appreciated.

makiwaraman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBSD the best thing for you to do is not contact them, the position offered is as a SDC (self defence consultant) lol this is self employed and long hours and you pay them, you make your money by selling karate door to door, With a deceptive door script you get appointments and go back and sale karate memberships for £22.00 each of which you keep £17.00 and pay GKR the rest. Bear in mind that these people aren't interested in karate if they were they would go find a club and you have to pressure them into joining, Once you prove that you have mastered this by getting five members a night for two years, you may get the managers position they originally told you about and thats even harder the money always goes to the top few and they fly around in private helicopters and sail on their yachts.
My point is that it takes a special type of person to make it in GKR and that type of person could make it in any business and need not sell out on karate.
regards maki

MJC The Great
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan Karate (ex GKR 3rd Kyu)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an instructor with GKR Karate International I can honestly say that the Karate itself is ok for beginers but as for the position advertised, it is not what it seems. You will become essentially a self employed door to door salesman and the income is commision only. You would also receive free training every day of the week but that can be too much hard work for some people. Only go with GKR as a student but definately not an employee and as far as students go, I would say GKR gives a few good basic groundings but progression into another style will be inevitable if you take Karate seriously. Hope that helps!

Last edited by MJC The Great on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total

JimmyNewton
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Shorinkan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a sham to me

RichardHangHong
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Seitou Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started training in GKR back in 1997 when they first came into the UK. I trained with them up until 2000 when there was a political split due to the cheif instructor getting greedy and all the top people from the UK left to form Kenshukai.

GKR were actually pretty good up to that point. But after the split, the standard rocketed downwards. The number of black belts tripled, students were given gradings as an incentive to stay with them. I even got a phone call from Bob Sullivan asking me to come back to train.

What's funny is that my original instructor, Rod Martin was the first full time person who got GKR spreading across Australia. He started Sydney Region 1 and built it into one of the biggest areas before coming to start things in the UK. It's funny that if you go onto the GKR website they talk about how some other guy went over and started Sydney Region 2 and got GKR booming. Where's the mention of Region 1 eh? When anyone asks they keep it all hush-hush.

IMHO, I don't have a problem with GKR's recruiting methods, there are many other clubs out there that have started doing the same thing. What I disagree with is GKR's ethics and morals. I've had several of my students and instructors from other clubs also tell me that a GKR rep knocked on their door, and when they said they already do karate, they insult the style saying they're not qualified or insured, or that the style is no good and they should train with GKR because they're a "proper" club. I even had a few comments made about me personally! It's really sad because these reps don't know any better and they're just doing what they have been taught.

I think I've ranted enough now, I only meant for this to be a quick reply. Anyway, in short, I don't like GKR, crap standard and even worse morals and ethics.

Regards,

Richard Gregory
Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

srv
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate style based on Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm from Australia and obviously GKR is very big over here. I have no personal experience with them but my husband does. He trained in e goju-kai based style as a teenager and reached shodan-ho level. This was in the country. When he moved to the city he became involved with GKR.(about 10 years ago now so a while back) Mainly from a misconception that he could make decent money doing something he loved. As far as his training goes - he said he enjoyed the classes and said that the classes for black belts were of a high standard. However what is really dodgy is their methods of selling. Going door to door, pressuring people to join, refusing to leave peoples homes till they join and bash other styles those people do. (He didn't do all this but was encouraged to) They allow very low ranks to teach by getting them involved in instructor programs. They can then run their own dojos and while teaching they wear a generic black and white belt. So a yellow belt will be teaching but not wearing their yellow belt but wearing a belt that for passers by looks like a black belt. I'd stay away - it is too good to be true.

Co_Co
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Go-Kan-Ru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Yes its true Reply with quote

Hello it is true i have been in it for 3 months u join of 22 pounds joining fee then alfter a month or so if they think u have whatit take then they give u a black and white belt and u go to special classes where u are taught by a 4th dan black belt

i have had no problem and when we start back we are starting beach trainning again

hope this has answered your question if not get in touch ok bye

Hidden_Ronin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike GKR with a passion. Its because of McDojos like it that Karate has gained a reputation as not street effective.
I know a GKR Shodan, and awhile back we decided to spar for a laugh. Now taking into consideration I was an 8th Kyu at the time i managed to get through her gaurd about three times before we called it a day. At the dojo I train in id be lucy to get through the gaurd of a 2nd Kyu, let alone a shodan.
Thier Karate is weak and sloppy.
They would have more chance in a street fight if they learn't how to sprint.

chillindan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: GKR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Im quite new to karate, and train in the GKR style. I've been training for around 4 months and I would just like to raise a couple of points:

1 - Why the Mcdojo tag? As I have said I am new to Karate, if it hadn't been for the guy from GKR knocking on my door I don't think I would have had the nerve to walk into a dojo. Sure Mr Sullivan is in it to make money, but who is in business for any other reason these days? He is just lucky that he has been able to make money doing something that he enjoys.

2 - Yes it is nocontact, but from what I have gathered karate isnt just about being able to knock the living daylights out of your opponant. I believe there is a lot more to it, is there not? Such as teching discipline, self respect, respect for others, confidence etc. How does teaching no-contact effect these benefits?

3 - Also the no-contact nature is another reason I was enticed to come along to a session. I do a customer facing job and was concerned that doing martial arts would leave me bruised, not good in front of customers!

I would be interested to here any unbiased opinions on the subject. Incedently I went to my first grading a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the higher grades who were grading for 2nd and 1st kyu.

Awaiitng any intelligent and considered responses.

D

chillindan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: GKR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the numerous spelling errors in my previous post, it wont happen again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: