Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bluedot
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Kaikan, Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Hapkido suggestions Reply with quote

Okay... I've recently changed my style from Kyokushin Karate to Hapkido because the dojang has a very good teacher and I liked the style. And, as stated in one of my previous posts, my Karate club did not do any sparring and the dojo had turned into something like the Mc. Dojo (you get the picture). This hapkido club is a bit far off, but I train there two days a week, i.e. friday and saturday evening. For the last three months I haven't been able to do any martial arts due to my sprained ankle and I have grown overweight and fat. So my question is, is this training enough to get me back into shape and reduce my weight or do I have to do anything else?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effective movement, and not being a couch potato, imho, is the key to maintaining a healthy life. The training that you've mentioned by itself might be helpful for you, but I also believe that it's what we do away from the dojo/dojang/etc that's most beneficial.

Walking briskly, running, bag work, swimming, cardio, weight training and the like are some of the keys to returning to a more healthy lifestyle as well as keeping us healthy in the years ahead.

Being active as opposed to being a couch potato beyond the time spent in the dojo and the like; this is paramount. Go to the dojo as you've been doing and then slowly, but surely, add more and more positive activity into your routine.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto sensei8's advice. Martial arts will kickstart you off if you've been totally sedentary and will give you a base level of fitness but you can supplement your training with other activities too. Even simple things like taking the stairs everytime instead of the lift or walking/biking to work if you can will all add up. And of course practice your forms outside of training and any techniques you learn in class. Then if you want you can go as far as adding in running/swimming/lifting/bag work etc.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any activity is going to be good for you to start with. As you go along, you may want to supplement other activities, like sensei8 mentioned. Time and dedication will help you the most.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hapkido suggestions Reply with quote

Bluedot wrote:
Okay... I've recently changed my style from Kyokushin Karate to Hapkido because the dojang has a very good teacher and I liked the style. And, as stated in one of my previous posts, my Karate club did not do any sparring and the dojo had turned into something like the Mc. Dojo (you get the picture). This hapkido club is a bit far off, but I train there two days a week, i.e. friday and saturday evening. For the last three months I haven't been able to do any martial arts due to my sprained ankle and I have grown overweight and fat. So my question is, is this training enough to get me back into shape and reduce my weight or do I have to do anything else?

Yes you must specifically rehabilitate the ankle since it was significantly weakened from the injury. After several weeks and after you can stand on the injured ankle, start balancing drills on the injured ankle. Then progress to kicking drills while standing on the injured ankle. I would start training again until I can comfortably run on the ankle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: