Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iskrax
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone saying ''talk to sensei''. Im sure that sensei is not going to change his teaching method because of me. Majority of people in my dojo are here just to learn karate for self defense moves (bunkai) . Thats why sensei is not going to put more on kumite game.

I want to try sport karate.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me as if you've made up your mind, already. You simply don't want to continue training in Goju-Ryu at your current dojo. You have to do what is best for you, so make the switch. That doesn't mean you can't still be friends with your current sensei. Maybe someday, after you've gotten the competition bug out of your system, you'll switch back.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
It sounds to me as if you've made up your mind, already. You simply don't want to continue training in Goju-Ryu at your current dojo. You have to do what is best for you, so make the switch. That doesn't mean you can't still be friends with your current sensei. Maybe someday, after you've gotten the competition bug out of your system, you'll switch back.
I agree. It sounds like you don't have much to hold you at your current dojo that is in accordance with what your goals are. Make the switch. If you are looking at competing seriously over the course of the next few years, then do so.

One never knows the course that their journey will take over time. Perhaps you'll go on to compete a lot, and then, when competition fades, you'll move back to wanting to do something more along the lines of kata and self-defense. Or, perhaps you'll want to mentor the next generation of young competitors, and end up taking on more of a coaching aspect.

Either way, its your journey to take. Go compete. Have fun. Learn and grow. You'll eventually come to another fork in the road of this journey of yours. When that happens, come back and tell us about it again. And be amazed at the difference in discussion we might have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: