Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

However, for the betterment of the MA, and for the betterment of all MAist, an acceptable middle ground should be reached beyond an amicable agreement. But, I believe that that's just a dream of this foolish old man.

There's no reason for any two martial arts to NEED to agree on anything. The US Navy and the US Army both have Captains. In the Navy, it's a very high ranking officer that can command a vessel. In the Army, it's still a low level officer that can only command small units (company and below). Despite their differences, they both seem to operate just fine.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

However, for the betterment of the MA, and for the betterment of all MAist, an acceptable middle ground should be reached beyond an amicable agreement. But, I believe that that's just a dream of this foolish old man.

There's no reason for any two martial arts to NEED to agree on anything. The US Navy and the US Army both have Captains. In the Navy, it's a very high ranking officer that can command a vessel. In the Army, it's still a low level officer that can only command small units (company and below). Despite their differences, they both seem to operate just fine.

It would be nice though, if they did, so that disagreements weren't so disjointed, as they are now in the MA world. Different world and different viewpoints; these separate the world of the MA and the world of the US Military.

Imho!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a well written article, Bob. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. There will likely not be agreement on this topic, ever. I think the problem arises in the drawing of hard and fast lines for one or the other. That makes it easy, though, either you qualify or you don't! What needs to happen is informed discussion over each candidate, in my opinion.

monterdsa
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monterdsa wrote:
no

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

In your opinion, how has age not gotten in the way?

AmbientFire
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question I tend to ask myself is "how suited is MA to teaching character?" And I make a distinction between being disciplined enough to go through MA syllabi and, say, being mature not to use what you've learned unless needed. Or any other markers of maturity for that matter that may not be obviously MA. I wonder why students are expected to behave morally and ethically correct when classes very rarely address these issues?

I am in no way against only awarding rank to those students that display character and skill, but am curious why such emphasis is placed on character when little time is granted towards cultivating it in class? And again, i do not think discipline is a valid measure for anything other than a willingness to endure in order to learn techniques.

It seems to me like MA syllabi based on technical requirements are the only fair measure regardless of age until a goodly amount of class time is spent on learning and exploring character. Those are my thoughts on it ATM anyway.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmbientFire wrote:
I guess the question I tend to ask myself is "how suited is MA to teaching character?" And I make a distinction between being disciplined enough to go through MA syllabi and, say, being mature not to use what you've learned unless needed. Or any other markers of maturity for that matter that may not be obviously MA. I wonder why students are expected to behave morally and ethically correct when classes very rarely address these issues?

I am in no way against only awarding rank to those students that display character and skill, but am curious why such emphasis is placed on character when little time is granted towards cultivating it in class? And again, i do not think discipline is a valid measure for anything other than a willingness to endure in order to learn techniques.

It seems to me like MA syllabi based on technical requirements are the only fair measure regardless of age until a goodly amount of class time is spent on learning and exploring character. Those are my thoughts on it ATM anyway.

Solid post!!

I do believe that character of said practitioner of the MA already exists before their first day of class. Through the guidance of ones instructor, that that already exists is either molded to be positive or negative, and in that, the choice IS of the individual.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it is important for an instructor to have an idea of the character of the people he or she instructs. The problem with adults it that they are usually set in their ways, and changing them can be difficult. The same can be said for kids, because we are not their parents, and only have about 2 to 3 hours of their time in a week to affect them. So an instructor fights an uphill battle when it comes to trying to influence their students. It can be done, but not to a great extent. So, the other option is to monitor them, and if they act in a way that is counter to what the instructor wants to represent his school, then it needs to be addressed on an individual basis with the student. Then its on them to fix it.

OleOle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Budo Ryu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maria White wrote:
You are absolutely correct. A level of emotional maturity is indeed require along with expertise to be a rightful claimant of black belt. I completely agree with whatever you have stated. Thanks for such a wonderful post.

Exactly, the key point must be 'emotional maturity'. Like my father used to say, "Experience is something you think you have until you get more of it".

Superb post sensei8, thanks very much.

*applauds*

anguspento
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes age has caught up with me, my right leg keeps on getting damaged and i have had to call it a day with all forms of exercise, sad part i still feel okay and i am not 50 yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: