Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iskrax
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Has anybody tried switching from traditional style to WKF? Reply with quote

Hey.

Personally I have been training in traditional style for 4 years (2 KYU). You know these low speeds, very tense kumite fights. Last month I switched to Olympic orientated school dojo (Shotokan-wkf). I was astonished by the speed and dynamics of kumite. It is very difficult for me to adapt to this dynamics.

So has anyone faced similar situation? Do you have any ideas how long it would take me to adjust to their style?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not faced similar situations and/or concerns, and that for me, because I face the person, and not the style/methodology/ideology/etc.

As far as how long it'll take you to adapt, well, that is entirely up to you!! To me, this question straddles right along with..."How long before I can earn a black belt??" Even while it's up to you as far as how long it might take to adapt, that isn't the only parameters that you've no control over.

Train hard, and train well...this will go a long way to help you adapt.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of 'traditional' schools associated with the WKF. And haven't seen any that are purely focused on Sport Karate, unlike (No offense) what i've seen of TKD where nearly all schools have switched to the Olympic only type of format.

I train in a traditional dojo, and yes we do incorporate tournament type kumite into the mix, but we emphasize that it is only for tournament and not for self defense. However we have found that some of the benefits of that type of kumite, which can be used for self defense; such as learning how to cope under such pressure in difficult positions.

However I know many dojo's that are not part of the WKF, yet they still incorporate tournament sparring into their classes and curriculum because that is a market where some students want to compete.

From previous experience the WKF and its affiliated organisations do not interfere in any shape or form with how my dojo operate or any dojo that i have visited as a guest. The benefits that I have found through the AKF (Australian Karate Federation) is that I am able to compete at any tournament and attend various different opportunities that I wouldn't have known about if i wasn't a member.

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll adapt a lot simply by being around it. Once you normalize to the speed and timing you'll grow into it and then it will become instinct. That's what training is, it's about getting you to do the right thing at the right time without any thought.

But remember it won't happen overnight and it won't happen without putting in the effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: