Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LeighSimmsMA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Heian Shodan/Pinan Nidan Kata Bunkai Clip Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Below is a little clip looking at one of our applications for Heian Shodan/Pinan Nidan (Gedan Barai, Hammerfist, Stepping Punch Sequence). Primarily recorded as reference for those in attendance, I feel it would be nice to share with this community.

A lot of bunkai online still shows defences against karate attacks and the defences shown do not apply all the motions of the kata (ie blocking a mae geri with a gedan barai and having the second hand on the hip for no reason).

One of the concepts taught in this drill is the use of the pulling hand (hikite). In this drill both hands are being used throughout to control the enemy.
Another concept taught is to be pre-emptive. Funakoshi endorsed this in his writings and it would make sense to find kata techniques that deal with failed pre-emptive strikes. Not all kata applications need to be re-active.

PS.
It should go without saying that isolated drills to develop skills/attributes are only 1 part of a greater training matrix. Also the pulling/gripping hand on the final punch should pull the enemy into your attack, for safety reasons its omitted from my demonstration.

https://www.facebook.com/leighsimmskarate/videos/1686078915018180/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice application, quite short, yet right to the point. From that video, a student can seek out the various Oyo applications for that particular sequence. Only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't much of a more detailed breakdown of the Bunkai.

Still, excellent Bunkai!! Thanks for sharing it, LeighSimmonsMA!!

LeighSimmsMA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Very nice application, quite short, yet right to the point. From that video, a student can seek out the various Oyo applications for that particular sequence. Only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't much of a more detailed breakdown of the Bunkai.

To put into context, this was recorded after the students had been practicing the drill for a while. I noticed a few were missing the grab of the lapel, so I quickly gathered them around to point that bit out. At that time, this was recorded. It would have been nice to have had the initial demos recorded!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeighSimmsMA wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

To put into context, this was recorded after the students had been practicing the drill for a while. I noticed a few were missing the grab of the lapel, so I quickly gathered them around to point that bit out. At that time, this was recorded. It would have been nice to have had the initial demos recorded!

Now that you've explained what I didn't fully see/know, I apologize for my assumption of incompleteness; you were spot on!!

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing; it is an interesting take, and will definitely experiment with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: