Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our clubs been in trouble for a long time , i just love the place so much and the instructor I just cant bare to contemplate leaving.

Its been like this almost in the 1 year of training. It seemed like things were going good more people joining kids classes going great but were back in trouble becuase a instructor is leaving.

What would you do in this situation?

I know this is a very common thing what did you do?

[ This Message was edited by: Taokara on 2002-06-14 21:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Taokara on 2002-06-14 21:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Taokara on 2002-06-15 15:47 ]

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really love your school and other people in the school feel the same way then you need to all have a meeting and put your heads together. Maybe you can donate some money to the school or have some type of fundraiser. Have a carwash or sell candy or something. Also, make out flyers and pass them out to all the houses in the town. These are very cheap but effective ways into making some quick money and drawing some new students into the school. Find out from your instructor how long he can stay open and how many new students he or she will need in order to survive. Then go on a man hunt and help find new students. Put on a demo and then offer a free month of classes or offer specials for $99 for 2 months plus a free uniform.

Start a Cardio Kickboxing class if he isn't already. This always is useful in attracting women. Or do a womens self defense class.

Pete

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I was training our Sensei was at every class no matter if he was teaching it or not. I do the same now.

If your only problems is just being short a teacher that is not bad. Most school have to close because of bills. LOL.....

If you got one guy pulling all the weight the only thing I can say is fix it to where all the classes are on the same day. Instead of having one class five days a week just have them 2 or 3 but run them back to back. That way you can save time. That way he don't have to be at the dojo everyday but can still offer the same amount of classes.

I also found myself teaching early Sat. Mourinings. Thats a bad time but you get loyal students.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my school is in financial trouble and has been for a while. The problem with the one instructor leaving is that in order to move where he needs to go he needs some more money.

Now there is a guy with a big huge Karate school moveing just a block down. And my master is going to "sell the children to him" for a price. And as you know children are what keeps open the schools.

The kids can stay if they want to , but if they did my one master would think my other master is underminding him. So my one sensei is between a rock and a hard place.

Basically we've done all you've said above in the course of a year. We need 20 adult students just to keep the place running covering the bills. I really think this is the last straw for this place but since i have been so faithful and helped them survive for a while i think i should stick it out till the end. And you should know my master is basically getting 0 income from the school since he started.

Thats to clarify the situation.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has the school been open for? He never made any money with the school? How high is his overhead?

capn_midnight
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our schools owner always talks about how long it took him to get his school on its feet (about 7 years). Even now, he still has another full time job to support his young family. For a small town dojo, we have a lot of students (I think 130). It's hard to keep a school going, not only because you have to compete against the big schools with huge marketing budgets, but you also have to compete with your other responsibilities (bills, family, food).

Some ideas:
Buddy Sponsorship Program. Current students sponsor a friend to join. The friend takes classs for a month free. The idea is a) if they like it they will pay for their training b) if they don't like it, they won't finish out the month. Sometimes our school has done 2 weeks free, but that's only 4 lessons and I don't think that's enough to hook someone.

Demonstrations and discount coupons. You form a demonstration team of your top 6-10 elite students (even numbers are better). You set up martial arts demonstration at local special events (fairs, parades, kung-fu-flick debutes) and hand out coupons afterward.

Tournaments. Tournaments can give you a HUGE influx of cash, if you do it right. You have to make sure you don't spend too much on trophies or on the venue. With a tournament you are pulling martial artists from just about everywhere. Try http://www.karatetournaments.com.

Join NAPMA (National Association of Professional Martial Artists, http://www.napma.com). They have all kinds of support programs, marketing ideas, training seminars.

Do you require your students to buy all their gear from you? You have a legal right to do so, you have to ensure the integrity of the gear in order to make sure all the students are fully protected. try http://www.centuryma.com for Century Martial Arts Supply and NAPMA for Ikon Gear. For top-of-the-line gear (and top-of-the-line prices) try http://www.tigear.com.

Sleepovers and birthday parties. For some reason, kids love to come to sleep overs at the dojo.

Karate Boot Camps. About a months worth of traing squeezed into one week (extra classes). At the end of the program, the student will have an extra test on top of your normal testing schedule (promotion is the incentive). We usually charge about $75 a student. You can also snag new students by having a beginners boot camp and tying that into your buddy sponsorship program.

...and i'm spent...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schools been open for about 5 years I think ive been going there on regular basis for two and a half years. Whos his overhead what do you mean who he trained under?

Those are some good idea's capn Ill pass them along up.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah... overhead is basically how much money the school must outlay each month in order pay all its bills and keep on running.

Things like renting a hall, bills for electricity, etc, insurance, any membership fees to larger organisations, payments on any loans that might have been taken out to purchase equipment, wages for staff, etc.

A business must make a profit to grow, but must cover overheads just to survive. If there is not enought income to cover them, you'll find the phone and electricity cut off, the bank repossessing and selling your stuff to cover loans and the landlord booting you out of the premises.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a step backwards, but could he move classes to a temperary place until you guys get the head count back up?

Like a school gymnasium, or a YMCA. His monthly costs wouldn't be as steep there.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if he really wants to do that move doug but its a good idea i will pass that up. Basically his overhead without the kids would have to be 20 adult students at 65 dollers a mounth.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: