Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Hip Engagement Drill Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

I think the majority of karateka are familiar with koshi, and some are familiar with gamaku, so the use of the hips and core in karate is pretty well known. That said, I've found that beginners and people from systems that don't use the hips this way can have a hard time figuring out how to move their hips. That led me to developing this drill, which we just published as a Waza Wednesday video this week, since a viewer actually requested that we show some hip engagement exercises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlbx74AgvXw

The drill is very simple, and doesn't address the more subtle components of koshi/gamaku, but it's a good starting point for beginners. Sometimes, it can be hard for students to see the instructor demonstrate hip motion and be able to replicate it. By using a staff, as I show in the video, to expand the motion, it makes it much easier to see what the instructor is doing, and for the student to replicate it.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice...well done, Noah!! Thanks for sharing it!!

The one thing that I always teach my students, especially those from 10th Kyu to 8th Kyu, is that while we've several drills to address and highlight the proper use of the hip, I drive into them the one simplistic point, and while the Tai Sabaki does produce the opportunity to engage the hips through Ashi Sabaki...

One MUST proactively USE the hips, and at the right moment and with the correct manner. The hips don't move UNLESS one moves them. Students within the previously mentioned Kyu ranges, are more likely to be guilty of having, what we call, "Lazy Hips"!! But these "Lazy Hips" can infect all ranks!!

I, even at my rank, can Tai Sabaki through Ashi Sabaki properly, and still have those "Lazy Hips" while executing any said technique. I point this out, again, because any rank can have those "Lazy Hips" because, well, we humans can be lazy from time to time. The higher the rank, the less likely the "Lazy Hips" will still be a factor!!

The drill(s) within your video, Noah, emphasize ones hips within Te Sabaki; that's a very important part of training. After all, without the proper usages of ones hips, all they are doing is pushing, and pushing isn't as powerful by itself, as a push that utilizes the hips, for example.

Does a student of the MA want to have pushing power or hip generated power?? I chose the latter over the former!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the explanation. Great presentation. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: