Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Neither horses(pretend or otherwise) or playing have their place in a serious training environment.

I agree, wholeheartedly!!

I love to have fun both in and out of the dojo/Hombu! However, we draw the line for reasons I've already stated. Therefore, it's best to protect our students in every way that we can.

Want to horseplay, then do it elsewhere, but not in my dojo and not at the Hombu. Do all you want to do, just as long as it's not horseplaying!!

If I allowed it, and the horseplaying got out of hand, who's going to be at fault? How's my insurance going to cover horseplaying? Who wants to be sued because I allowed horseplay? No, I think, I'll enforce our NO HORSEPLAYING ALLOWED!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
However, the Shodan in my OP was clearly bothered by that which the Sandan instructor did. When asked by myself to that fact, the Shodan explained to me that he was the next to the youngest of 7 brothers and one sister, and that type of horse-playing would end up in a fight, and not to speak about the rough and tough neighborhood that they all grew up in...fight or flight, and there was no flight allowed.

When you see someone's not comfortable or appreciative about this type of things, someone has to step in to reassure that nothing happens; that's what I did.

Isn't that just a lack of awareness on the part of the Sandan?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
However, the Shodan in my OP was clearly bothered by that which the Sandan instructor did. When asked by myself to that fact, the Shodan explained to me that he was the next to the youngest of 7 brothers and one sister, and that type of horse-playing would end up in a fight, and not to speak about the rough and tough neighborhood that they all grew up in...fight or flight, and there was no flight allowed.

When you see someone's not comfortable or appreciative about this type of things, someone has to step in to reassure that nothing happens; that's what I did.

Isn't that just a lack of awareness on the part of the Sandan?

Yes! That lead to his suspension!

His lack of awareness in following the Kun [Rules] in the first place. When one becomes an Instructor, they carry the badge of the Hombu...the banner of the Hombu. Every instructor goes through an extensive training course, and one of the things they learn are the Kun [Rules].

Awareness of each students areas of discomfort and the like, are important, but to be honest, it's quite a lot to know about EVERY student's likes and dislikes in matters as this because not all students are given to speak about private things for their reasons.

That's why the Kun; no ambiguity exists if enforced properly every time, for every student, no matter rank. Besides, the Kun hung up at the Hombu is quite large, and it's everywhere, and they can't be missed. At my last dojo, my Kun was as the Hombu....large and everywhere!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: