Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Horseplaying!! Reply with quote

Right towards the very top of our Kun at the Hombu, one can read...

"NO HORSEPLAYING", in bold letters, and in red, as well to get their attention!!

Recently, I suspended one of our instructors at the Hombu for 2 weeks for horse-playing. Harsh or overkill?!?

You see, horse-playing can lead to fighting, and we view all horse-playing as severe, therefore, no exceptions. It's even more serious when an instructor engages in horse-playing. No horse-playing is at different levels of seriousness; all types of horse-playing is severe an not tolerated.
Instructor in question, a Sandan, was caught by myself throwing play punches at a Shodan shortly before class for black belts was to begin. The instructor walked up to a small group of Shodan's and started throwing play punches at the stomach area, and one of the Shodan's looked quite uneasy and unnerved at this.

What, if any, rules does your school/dojo/dojang/etc have regarding horse-playing??

What type of discipline, if any, is given for horse-playing??

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We give them one warning. If they don't stop, they're asked to leave class for the day. We've had too many kids get hurt due to horseplaying in class. Karate is serious stuff and people can get seriously hurt if they're playing around with it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really don't have too much of an issue with this. If the instructor sees some of it going on, a quick tongue lashing usually puts an end to it. If that doesn't do it, push-ups usually follow.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within reason, we're actually okay with a bit of horse-play. Really, as long as it's not disruptive during class we're pretty laid back about it. The rule of thumb is common sense, don't get anyone hurt, and don't interrupt everyone else's efforts to learn.

But, we're a slightly more laid back community that even a lot of jits schools. Some razzing or off topic antics during warm ups is routine. But not too far out. It's an odd relationship that we have with this topic but it seems to work for us.

The point, to my thinking, is that there is a different line for each club. What would be unacceptable in one is at a line in another, might be perfectly acceptable in a third. What's important is that someone mentors in the new people to understand what the line is.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With children strict rules are a must for ensuring everyone stays safe. Older teenagers and adults have no excuse for irresponsible or dangerous behaviour because martial arts is a serious activity requiring concentration. There is no place for horseplay when practising techniques that can potentially cause great damage to another person, even when there is no intent to do so.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that when that Sandan from my OP was not only horse-playing, but that personal spaces were violated, just for one. Sensitivity towards others needs to be considered because personal experiences are not always known with each individual.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in life there should always be a balance and everything cannot be 100% serious with hardcore discipline, there must be some soft smiles and some fun. That being said, this is not a knock at all to Taekwondo places because I actually started out in Taekwondo places and some of the techniques I do to this day and the techniques that I teach to this day have roots in Taekwondo, but many of them lack a lot of the structure and discipline that I find in karate. This is one of the things that I love about karate and why I use it as the foundation of what I teach, this is the exact reason why.

My oldest which is 13 years old, refers to what we do as military, and says that Taekwondo places are a bit more fun, she spends time with her half brother when she is visiting near him and he attends Taekwondo classes with ATA specifically. I think that it's very important to have fun and that's what makes these places successful.

In the end I think I will always lean towards more strict structure then some schools though, & I think from the sounds of it I would have a similar general attitude as sensei 8.

When you start referring to horseplay from an instructor, I don't exactly have experience because I don't have any instructors under me, but I have been in schools where I was not the only instructor that thought under the chief instructor. I think it's important to allow instructors some space to be silly with the students because this is what sets the tone for fun relationships, but there is a thin line and I think it should be known how far you can go with goofing around because it can easily turn into a freak show of acting out and not listening from students. Actually I just hired my first assistant instructor, a 16 year old girl that is A 6th rank, I have known her a very long time and As I am opening up a second location, I need to build my crew a little bit to be able to facilitate two locations so if there is any horseplay I will let you know how I deal with it lol.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Within reason, we're actually okay with a bit of horse-play. Really, as long as it's not disruptive during class we're pretty laid back about it. The rule of thumb is common sense, don't get anyone hurt, and don't interrupt everyone else's efforts to learn.

But, we're a slightly more laid back community that even a lot of jits schools. Some razzing or off topic antics during warm ups is routine. But not too far out. It's an odd relationship that we have with this topic but it seems to work for us.

The point, to my thinking, is that there is a different line for each club. What would be unacceptable in one is at a line in another, might be perfectly acceptable in a third. What's important is that someone mentors in the new people to understand what the line is.

Our club is probably more along the lines of this. We all know each other well so a small amount of horseplay and friendly banter is accepted.

I wouldn't say we are without discipline though. Our style of TKD was developed by the (North) Korean military(!) and when we need to switch on we do.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the Shodan in my OP was clearly bothered by that which the Sandan instructor did. When asked by myself to that fact, the Shodan explained to me that he was the next to the youngest of 7 brothers and one sister, and that type of horse-playing would end up in a fight, and not to speak about the rough and tough neighborhood that they all grew up in...fight or flight, and there was no flight allowed.

When you see someone's not comfortable or appreciative about this type of things, someone has to step in to reassure that nothing happens; that's what I did.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither horses(pretend or otherwise) or playing have their place in a serious training environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: