Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: How any of you teach an exercise kickboxing class? Reply with quote

I am curious and would like to discuss some things with you. Thanks folks!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide us a preamble of what you'd like to discuss, kenpo4life.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got one but I don't personally teach it. It can be a great intro into the main classes.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't regularly teach our fitness kickboxing class, but I do occasionally cover it. Basically, as long as the students have good enough form to be safe, we don't dwell on it. Because it's a fitness class, intensity is more important than the development of skill. Even so, with enough classes, you'll see people learning to hit harder just by virtue of hitting things on a regular basis with some simple instruction.

I usually start the class with low intensity, mobility focused warm-ups, such as side bends, hip rotations, and arm circles. Then, we get into slightly more intense warm-ups like air squats, sit-ups, and push-ups. After that, I generally have them work some simple striking combinations in the air, with footwork, until they're sweating. At that point, I'll either bring out punching mitts or heavy bags, so they can work the combinations on actual targets. I'll usually alternate between working combinations in the air, and working them on targets, and I'll mix in exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, and sit-ups in the middle of combinations. Toward the end of the class, I'll usually teach a self defense technique that they can drill as a cool down, and then we spend about 5-8 minutes stretching out.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this type of class became more popular, I added it to my dojo. No, I didn't teach it because my teaching plate was quite full. However, I kept my eye on it, as I did with anything that I wasn't directly involved in; Management 101 teaches that. I was still liable for everything, even if I wasn't the instructor of said class.

I didn't let those other classes fend for themselves!! I was quite supportive of them, and this included me supplying the necessary materials and the like, and not just the floor space and/or the time frames.

My dojo's have always been full time, therefore, my only source of income. I was highly involved in everything from 'A' to 'Z' and back and forth; 24/7. I couldn't allow classes as this to go without my managing its daily operations. No, that, imho, would be irresponsible, which that would be unforgivable.

Classes like this, added much to my bottom line. As I learned in college..."A penny turns into a nickel, and a nickel turns into a dime, and a dime turns into a quarter, and a quarter turns into a million dollars; all profits are tangible."

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These type of aerobics/kickboxing exercise programmes are a fad and many martial arts schools started to add them to increase their business and attract more people.

When tae-bo came out, the martial arts-flavoured aerobics boom was at its peak and a lot of martial arts schools started doing that as well. Eventually, like other fads and gimmicks it lost most of its appeal and not as many schools still have it.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
These type of aerobics/kickboxing exercise programmes are a fad and many martial arts schools started to add them to increase their business and attract more people.

When tae-bo came out, the martial arts-flavoured aerobics boom was at its peak and a lot of martial arts schools started doing that as well. Eventually, like other fads and gimmicks it lost most of its appeal and not as many schools still have it.

They replaced it with Krav Maga

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Krav Maga schools? Anyhow there is nothing wrong or unethical with taking adavantage of a fad for staying in business. The important thing is to stay focussed on what one is trained and qualified to teach.

Karate instructors ought to concentrate on teaching Karate only. Adding boxercise or anything else should be left to somebody trained and qualified to do that.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the funny part. I am ( no boasting ) the first kickboxing teacher in the Bay Area. I owned my own school, and subsequently the main name is kickboxing by a large margin. I closed my school ( life stuff ) and recently re-opened. Kickboxing is a lot more acceptable and popular, but I know that I can still rock this thing. I am only looking for ten people to start, and I want to build from there. What marketing strategy would you use? I am currently subletting for $25 an hour. Help a brotha out

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yard signs...flyers...newspaper ads...WORD OF MOUTH...demos...just a few ideas; ideas that I've tried, and have lived by!! Got to get your name out in the community so that its recognition is self-sufficient and long lasting!! A billboard ad might be, not always, expensive, but one can't deny its impact on consumers.

I think you've found a gold mine of opportunities, as well as a gold mine of cash flow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: