Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: How are you conditioning yourself? Reply with quote

Conditioning is different for everyone due to likes and dislikes or preferences.

Or perhaps you are conditioning yourself in a specific way for a specific purpose?

Some people have a routine that they stick to while others change their conditioning regime often.

So the question is really, what works best for you, changing daily, weekly, monthly or annually?

I've been advised to change my conditioning routines monthly as I am a daily type of conditioner.

What type have you found to be a successful, or is it more what type of conditioning you do is more important than when?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the type of Conditioning that you are referring to, as that will vary of how often you should be undertaking it. The Second that You start conditioning it should be for a express purpose, usually a health reason.

For instance Osteogenesis or the Formation of Bone. Which we do focus on a lot in Martial Arts is highly beneficial due to the fact it prevents/reduces the risk of Osteoporosis.

Is it conditioning of the Cardiovascular System through Aerobic and Anaerobic Training? Where the conditioning often takes the form of Endurance Running or Sprints. And the Result is a Reduced Risk of a Cardiovascular Event.

Muscular Conditioning? Different parts of Hypertrophy, Max Strength, Endurance etc. Very great to prevent skeletal problems down the road like Lordosis or Kyphosis. Along with other issues with poor muscular health.

So to the "When" Question, it depends on what your wanting to achieve out of that conditioning and also what segment as well you are trying to achieve. "When" is inevitably tied to "Rest" because where you overtrain without the appropriate rest, then injury may occur.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Depends on the type of Conditioning that you are referring to, as that will vary of how often you should be undertaking it. The Second that You start conditioning it should be for a express purpose, usually a health reason.

For instance Osteogenesis or the Formation of Bone. Which we do focus on a lot in Martial Arts is highly beneficial due to the fact it prevents/reduces the risk of Osteoporosis.

Is it conditioning of the Cardiovascular System through Aerobic and Anaerobic Training? Where the conditioning often takes the form of Endurance Running or Sprints. And the Result is a Reduced Risk of a Cardiovascular Event.

Muscular Conditioning? Different parts of Hypertrophy, Max Strength, Endurance etc. Very great to prevent skeletal problems down the road like Lordosis or Kyphosis. Along with other issues with poor muscular health.

So to the "When" Question, it depends on what your wanting to achieve out of that conditioning and also what segment as well you are trying to achieve. "When" is inevitably tied to "Rest" because where you overtrain without the appropriate rest, then injury may occur.
Thank you Nidan Melbourne for your insightful comments.

Personally conditioning refers to my entire body, with the usual cardio, bones and muscles.

Also posture, balance, and coordination.

Not so much concerned with gaining more strength but rather improving my agility level.

Stamina and endurance needs improvement.

Having a history of heart disease, exercise is my greatest weapon against it.

My cardiologist is very happy with my latest test results and sees a progressive improvement concerning my heart, health and wellbeing.

Must have been approximately eight years ago when attended cardiac rehabilitation.

It was a great kick start to get in shape.

Having a series of four heart attacks was very draining on the body. Feeling very weak afterwards and tired most of the time.

Just walking back then was exhausting; now I love sprinting as apart of my cardio workout.

Never will I take my health for granted; I workout full time, similar to professional athletes, without the need to win a thing but more importantly, to stay alive is winning me more quality time.

Is conditioning important for you?

The way I see it, is that if we are not conditioning ourselves then probably we are becoming increasingly unconditioned.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conditioning that I'm much more concerned with isn't related to MA at all. I've done that for almost 53 years; that's run its course, even though, I still engage in productive MA conditioning, and I can not ever stop that, as I can't stop breathing.

No, it's my cardiac conditioning betterment; improving that quality of life!! Obeying, to the best of my abilities, what my PCP and Cardiologist order from me...

Exercise

lose weight

not living that sedentary live style any more

watch my portions

Make those necessary and required doctor visits

I've not experienced the heart issues that you, Alan, have endured. Nonetheless, had it not been for being diagnosed with Afib, I more assuredly have not done anything to improve my health, which in turn improved my quality of life.

Sometimes, I do need a brick to land on my head...A LOT...before I wake up!!

Cardiac conditioning...that's priority in my life. The MA is just a thing, but my life is not just a thing, and my wife and kids are not just a thing. Without them, I'm nothing at all!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
The conditioning that I'm much more concerned with isn't related to MA at all. I've done that for almost 53 years; that's run its course, even though, I still engage in productive MA conditioning, and I can not ever stop that, as I can't stop breathing.

No, it's my cardiac conditioning betterment; improving that quality of life!! Obeying, to the best of my abilities, what my PCP and Cardiologist order from me...

Exercise

lose weight

watch my portions

I've not experienced the heart issues that you, Alan, have endured. Nonetheless, had it not been for being diagnosed with Afib, I more assuredly have not done anything to improve my health, which in turn improved my quality of life.

Cardiac conditioning...that's priority in my life. The MA is just a thing, but my life is not just a thing, and my wife and kids are not just a thing. Without them, I'm nothing at all!!

Had a compliment from a doctor in a hospital, about three years ago.

She said that my level of understanding, medically was above a med student of two years.

Sad to say that my mum died from organ failure art the time; she had an enlarged heart.

I had been drawn into understanding medical heart issues due to my own heart condition also.

There are many possible heart problems that can occur to anyone, but it must be said that the medical world is far more advanced in treating many conditions, than it was fifty years ago; the problem now is that smoking and bad eating habits are still causing unnecessary, preventable illnesses.

Personally, having arteries drilled out and stents put in to keep the flow of blood circulating, with daily meds and eating habits that are reasonable, changing my lifestyle, is the least I can do, without messing up everyone else's work, to keep me alive and kicking.

So sensei8 just do what you need to do to stay healthy and alive, for yourself and everyone else that you are connected and associated to.

Far too many great people check out earlier than they should, being stubborn like me with out being great, still feels great doing it, because without health; everything becomes difficult and challenging.

Focus on health as a priority and everything else will fall in to place or it can wait.

My martial arts training has given me back more than I have put in to it, I can honestly say, that by living longer, I hope to repay my debt with being helpful to other martial artists, along their journey, even if they are small pebbles of encouragement.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Exercise

lose weight

watch my portions

She said that my level of understanding, medically was above a med student of two years.

Sad to say that my mum died from organ failure art the time; she had an enlarged heart.

I had been drawn into understanding medical heart issues due to my own heart condition also.

There are many possible heart problems that can occur to anyone, but it must be said that the medical world is far more advanced in treating many conditions, than it was fifty years ago; the problem now is that smoking and bad eating habits are still causing unnecessary, preventable illnesses.

Personally, having arteries drilled out and stents put in to keep the flow of blood circulating, with daily meds and eating habits that are reasonable, changing my lifestyle, is the least I can do, without messing up everyone else's work, to keep me alive and kicking.

So sensei8 just do what you need to do to stay healthy and alive, for yourself and everyone else that you are connected and associated to.

Far too many great people check out earlier than they should, being stubborn like me with out being great, still feels great doing it, because without health; everything becomes difficult and challenging.

Focus on health as a priority and everything else will fall in to place or it can wait.

My martial arts training has given me back more than I have put in to it, I can honestly say, that by living longer, I hope to repay my debt with being helpful to other martial artists, along their journey, even if they are small pebbles of encouragement.

Solid post, Alan!! I will take your advice and suggestions to heart [pun intended]. But, seriously, I've one life to live, and I'm thankful that I've taken my health, and what it takes to improve it, all seriously, so that I can live a very quality life.

I wonder if this is just a coincident...Shindokan means...House of the Heart Way.

Thanks, Alan!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Exercise

lose weight

watch my portions

Solid post, Alan!! I will take your advice and suggestions to heart [pun intended]. But, seriously, I've one life to live, and I'm thankful that I've taken my health, and what it takes to improve it, all seriously, so that I can live a very quality life.

I wonder if this is just a coincident...Shindokan means...House of the Heart Way.

Thanks, Alan!!

Thank you sensei8!

Health can be neglected or abused for fun or financial gain.

At 20 years of age standing 5'8" with a 24" waist I could climb up a flag post.

So to have a 38" waist 15 years later was a real novelty for me. No more getting blown over on a windy day. It felt good to be solid and grounded.

But and there is always a but somewhere. I tried to shimmy over a small wall and couldn't make it.

Gravity had its arms around my legs, it was a shock back in to reality.

Not a problem, lost a whole bunch of weight by skipping meals and eating junk food snacks, till the point of malnutrition.

Caught pneumonia then had a series of heart attacks.

So no one to blame for being ill but myself.

The reason for explaining so much is that, now I'm old yet I'm in better shape now than any other time in my life and becoming even more so week by week.

I don't remember the last time having a cold or a sore throat.

I would never thought it possible to become better and healthier at a later age. This is something that needs to be experienced, to believe it.

Dental care is something that can also be neglected but it is very important also, to keep teeth and gums healthy.

Just had my annual dental check up and cleaning; the dentist noticed an improvement since the last visit.

I have had facial moles removed also. I use special soap and creams for my skin because I had suffered for many years with large red skin blotches; something I no longer have (Touch wood)

There really is no end to staying healthy from head to toe from inside out.

I will hand out one really good beauty secret tip, that is, drink plenty of water LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: