Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedKills,

What is the answer, please?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedKills wrote:
I found out HA!

Its more complex than I expected and even the people that teach it dont really know whats going on sometimes, no wonder no one could tell me.

Thanks for the answers anyway didnt intend to be rude was just frustrated.

So what is the answer? Can you share it with us?

If you don't mind me asking, do you study Tai Chi currently?

TheRamsIX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan since 1994; Yang Taijiquan since 2005; Shanxi Xing Yi and Sun Bagua since 2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is connected eccentric muscle contraction via intention (or continuous Kime) manipulated by deep internal musculature that is directed by moving through a central axis (i.e. spine/ribcage/deep pelvic muscles).

There is a lot going on and it depends on the strike particularly and the effect you want on the opponent.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRamsIX wrote:
The short answer is connected eccentric muscle contraction via intention (or continuous Kime) manipulated by deep internal musculature that is directed by moving through a central axis (i.e. spine/ribcage/deep pelvic muscles).

There is a lot going on and it depends on the strike particularly and the effect you want on the opponent.

I heard something similar in salsa dancing class! Especially about my deep musculature!
Ok just kidding sorry. Sounds like a long way of saying it's in the hips...

TheRamsIX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan since 1994; Yang Taijiquan since 2005; Shanxi Xing Yi and Sun Bagua since 2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
TheRamsIX wrote:

I heard something similar in salsa dancing class! Especially about my deep musculature!
Ok just kidding sorry. Sounds like a long way of saying it's in the hips...

Nope. Its about small muscle control in the pelvis/lower basin in addition to the waist. Some styles of Taiji use the hips, but its rotation around a secondary axis. The spine is primary, which means one if not both of the hips are stabilized.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Speedkills. The answer you are looking for is "Bone Power" What is bone power you may ask? People that practice Tai Chi don't usually concern themselves with bone power there main concern is to cultivate chi. However combining Tai Chi movements with dynamic tension is another story. Tai Chi is based on the "top secret" idea of moving like a cat. While Bone Power is based on the mythical Dragon. Imagine practicing Tai Chi in a manner very differently than the usual way; imagine doing it in a dynamic tension style not moving like a cat but now a dragon. Then Combine the cat and dragon then you will have a force to be reckoned with. Please don't tell anyone it's a secret!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC generates it's power from using the entire body and using yin yang principle's. Example, as the attacking arm moves forward the other arm pulls back generating more power. Leverage is another factor when using TC techniques. Also flowing energy throughout the body focuses that energy in to techniques. Internal martial arts such as Tai Chi is not intended to be understood by popular culture. Tai Chi practioners develop strong legs and this is where alot of power can be generated in to there techniques.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no one is adding more to this topic and I feel an overwhelming urge to do so. When you see a Tai Chi practitioners beautifully flowing from one graceful move to another, there is one element missing. Which is footwork to close the gap. To set yourself up to release a technique on the opponent. Think about it for a moment. When you do a kata against an imaginary opponent, he is not going to jump in to every position so you can damage him, on the contrary he is going to be as awkward and difficult as possible for you. This is where the art of positioning yourself to do the most damage comes in to play, closing the gap first, then let them have it! By closing the gap it takes a lot less energy to release that energy because you have created momentum combined with gravity and structure in a short distance and all in a millisecond. Respect.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tai Chi practitioners don't use much footwork in their forms because they changed why they do Tai Chi. Most practitioners aren't focused on self-defense aspects, but more on health benefits.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right I agree with your point of views. The question was how do Tai Chi guys generate power and that was the focus of my explanations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: