Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: How do you advertise your Dojo, etc? Reply with quote

It's not just posters an word of mouth. What works? What doesn't?

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All advertising techniques can be effective. They only require a focus and a target audience otherwise it is all chance and dumb luck.

Word of mouth is good but only effective if the dojo already has a well established reputation. A simple flyer or poster is great but it depends on where, when and how it is distributed. The same can be said of promotional demonstrations. Some dojos come up with very creative and original ideas but why try to reinvent the wheel?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, ps1 wrote an article recently that touched on this: http://www.karateforums.com/so-you-want-to-open-your-own-martial-arts-school-vt47139.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: How do you advertise your Dojo, etc? Reply with quote

You advertise by word of mouth - flyers - web page - facebook -local paper - by doing demonstrations - your students sending you students........... Any means. When I kinda went public 4 years ago it was my senior students who pushed - they did the flyers - set up a web page and did facebook. I am very old school and I'm still not comfortable with it. But i'm learning to bend a little (LOL).

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run a website and blog, social media (both FB and Instagram) and print. We also run a YouTube page that we run in conjunction with the rest of the media. We've gotten leads from all of them. But really our biggest hit has been the social media. We're on it constantly posting pics of classes, announcements, etc. We get a lot of feedback from this and it's consistently the leader in bringing in prospects.

The biggest print success we had was an article in the local paper we were able to get lined up. We got several prospects that we were able to convert off this. If you can manage it, it's worth taking the time to do.

We also offer incentives for bringing in people for those already members. If you get someone to sign up, it's a free private.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of students sought is also something to decide when planning an advertisement campaign or publicity stunts. My first instructor purposely planned his advertising to coincide with the beginning of the academic year. With the agreement of the school, he rented a time slot at the campus athletic complex and held a regular training session there for a limited time. During that time he put up posters. Flyers were also included with each campus map given to new students. This probably work more than anything else he did.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth and fliers! No website and the like!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to tell you, Alex, that you are doing a wonderful job. I was looking at the Alpha BJJ stuff the other day and the way you use the tools is excellent. You are a great example of what is now commonly referred to as inbound marketing and content marketing. In short, the idea that you create great content that draws people to you, rather than buying their attention.

I know you don't consider yourself to be computer savvy, but as someone who knows a little bit about this stuff, I have to believe you are in the top 1% of martial arts schools in the U.S. when it comes to the savvy way you are using the tools.

I'd definitely recommend that folks go to http://alphajiujitsu.com and take a good look at how Alex uses YouTube, Facebook and their blog. It's good stuff.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
I've been meaning to tell you, Alex, that you are doing a wonderful job. I was looking at the Alpha BJJ stuff the other day and the way you use the tools is excellent. You are a great example of what is now commonly referred to as inbound marketing and content marketing. In short, the idea that you create great content that draws people to you, rather than buying their attention.

I know you don't consider yourself to be computer savvy, but as someone who knows a little bit about this stuff, I have to believe you are in the top 1% of martial arts schools in the U.S. when it comes to the savvy way you are using the tools.

I'd definitely recommend that folks go to http://alphajiujitsu.com and take a good look at how Alex uses YouTube, Facebook and their blog. It's good stuff.

Patrick

Solid post!! I wholeheartedly concur with what Alex does to increase his brand.

In that, I know that I/Shindokan Hombu is WAY BEHIND in utilizing every possible media to bring Shindokan to the forefront! I'M WRONG, therefore, I feel that I'm stuck in first gear, and have been that way for such a long, long time when it comes to this!!

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
In that, I know that I/Shindokan Hombu is WAY BEHIND in utilizing every possible media to bring Shindokan to the forefront! I'M WRONG, therefore, I feel that I'm stuck in first gear, and have been that way for such a long, long time when it comes to this!!

The good thing is that each aspect of social media is not that difficult once you get a basic introduction. They fit together like a puzzle for some people at first but they actually work well together to enhance your message and content. The fact that there is an online presence precisely where it can be is a good sign that a company/group is doing well. Not everyone uses all aspects of social media but if you simply provide a simple anchoring presence in them I think its going to show off a greater impact. Just like with Alpha BJJ.

This has been a great topic thank you to those who've contributed.

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: