Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: How do you create instuctors, and what are your quals? Reply with quote

Hi all,

While I'm asking this primarily as a karate Instructor, I'm interested in all MA.

We all know the MA industry, especially karate, is relatively loose when it comes to Instructor Qualifications and training. I would like to ask everyone what formal qualifications they require (other than MA experience and rank) for different level instructors? Also, is this a requirement of your country, organisation etc?

For me, my country doesn't REQUIRE anything by law. My association does require you to be a licenced dojo owner.

The closest thing to a requirement in Australia would be accreditation under our National Coaching Accreditation Scheme by the Australian Sports Commission, delivered by the Australian Karate Federation (part of the WKF), our only federal government endorsed karate coaching course. This course mainly covers off on basic coaching principles, ethics, methods etc.

I had never bothered with this course as I'd done a variety of other ones and heard mixed reviews, but I recently completed it and would actually say that it would be a good legal requirement to roll out.

As for what I require from my instructors, it's a community coaching course through our national sports commission and a working with children check. Any instructor who wants to take a class on their own also needs first aid & cpr training.

Myself, I have the above as well as a Sports Trainer qual and recently a Diploma of Sport Coaching (from an education institute: Diploma in Australia is called "vocatiobal education" and is an alternative to university that generally focuses more on teaching practical competencies than theory).

We do not have an internal course for instuctors, but rather have them complete the above courses. I am trying to develop an internal course to supplement these generic coaching courses though, and am interested to hear what others do, and if there are any resources (such as Instructor handbooks) that you're willing to share.

P.s. sorry for typos, I posted from my phone.
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post on the facebook page, but thought I might share here whilst at work (naughty i know!). My club doesn't run formal instructors classes or anything, even though I would like to see it implemented.

As such we don't require any formal qualifications to be an Instructor, but does help if you do have some qualification in either Teaching or in the Health AND/OR Fitness industries.

My Sensei is a Qualified Remedial Massage Therapist, and I'm the only other Instructor with Tertiary Education in Health (Diploma of Health Sciences + Final Semester of Bachelor of Exercise Science [Clinical Practice]).

I'm contemplating doing NCAS Course at some point this year or early next year dependent on time and $$$.

Obiously under Australian Law all instructors over 18 require their WWCC, the only exception to that is where you are directly supervised (At all times) by someone who does possess this. But my Sensei still requires everyone to have one irregardless.

I'm currently making a Instructors Manual atm for my own club that I am in the early stages of starting.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that has been said here a lot is that not every BB is instructor material. It's always interesting to me, then, to see schools require all black belts to teach (something that is common in Texas).

For me, instructors have to have both the desire and the skill to teach. Not everyone has what it takes to be a teacher, it requires a different set of skills that they may not have learned in the dojo, and sometimes the example of a great instructor is not enough to teach someone what it takes.

In the U.S. any Joe Schmo can run a dojo, we don't have any special qualifications other than the logistics of opening and running a business. However, were I the head of an organization (and I'm not) I would require classes, books read on teaching, and it would be something one could fail. Teaching requires a very different type of passion than MA, and it's important that our instructors have that passion for teaching. If they don't, their instruction can fall flat, and eventually the students they're pumping out are less than our standard may be.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all black belts can teach, nor should they try!!

The CI decides if that said proposed instructor has the abilities to teach said style effectively. This takes time!! Watching the proposed instructor day in and day out, and mentoring that proposed instructor makes everyone accountable.

Does that proposed instructor engage willingly? Smile? Shy? Overbearing? Looks at the clock OFTEN? Wants to be on the floor teaching? What's the tone while teaching and when they're off the floor? Multi-tasking skills? Managing skills? Detail orientated? Schedule making abilities? Ordering material skills? Inventory skills? Labor management skills? Curriculum writing? Does that proposed instructor show up early and stay late? Ownership skills? Accountability skills? Have desire? Man oh man, the list is quite long, or it can be, and it is with me because credibility is at task across the board.

Can I teach someone to teach? NO!! I can only teach them Shindokan, the rest is up to that individual...either they can teach or they can't!! There are no middle grounds!!

Our Hombu does certify instructors, but having the stamp of approval of the CI is paramount over the certificate that the Hombu awards at the end of the training for any proposed instructor. Why? The CI KNOWS that proposed instructor much more intimately than the Hombu, unless that proposed instructor is an In-House Proposed Instructor of the Hombu.

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sensei8,

I agree re black belts not all being able to teach, which is why I wanted to base this conversation around non-grade and MA requirements.

You mention can you teach someone to teach? I'm going to disagree and say yes. School teachers aren't simply picked for their academic ability and personality - that might be one factor - but then they engage in formal education to learn the skills they need from the ethics of education to curriculum building and teaching methods and techniques.

I think a lot of MA organisations certify instructors on their "teaching ability" which is actually their personality. While this is important, it doesn't ensure that they know the finer details of instructing.

Is there anything you do in your dojo to ensure that your instuctors undergo some formal recognised training to not only give consumers confidence, but to ensure they're learning to coach properly?

I do think some people can teach well naturally, they're personable, knowledgeable and passionate, but are they as good as they could be?

To make it clear, I don't think an external qualification is needed. Coaching ability can be learnt through an apprentice/mentoring model, but what about things life business management, lesson planning, risk and safety management, dealing with those with learning development needs?

Great contributions all, keep them coming!
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not part of any organization, so my instructor devised his own qualifications for instructors. First you have to be at least 3rd Dan and have been studying for at least 15 years.

You have to do an internship of at least 4-5 years-- bringing a group all the way from white belt to Shodan.

There's no formal class as it's so rare someone has the qualifications to even enter instructor training. Once you enter, you're given the instructor manual written by our head instructor and expected to pretty much memorize it and then you begin your internship/on the job training. Once you've completed it, you're declared an instructor.

Now, you don't have to be an instructor to help teach. I've been teaching the beginners' class with guidance since I was a 4th kyu and have run several classes solo since getting my Shodan. I'm not an instructor and don't have anywhere near the time in rank for formal instructor training, but as I have a teaching degree, a state teacher certification, and several years teaching experience, they felt I was ready to start helping with the instruction earlier than most. So some of the requirements can be flexible depending on circumstances.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can teach someone to teach BUT they must have that within themselves already. If they're technical solid, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that a teacher lives within that practitioner.

The floor reveals this in that practitioner when that practitioner is on the floor in the role of teacher for the first time. They've been shown how to mirror and things like that over and over again, yet, that practitioner still can't grasp the vital nuances that are required to teach.

That same practitioner might not be able to teach, but that practitioner has the ability to assist. This practitioner, in time, will be able to teach. However, if one can't even assist, then that same can't teach, no matter how patient I might be. And trust me, I'm very patient in this regard.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Yes, you can teach someone to teach BUT they must have that within themselves already. If they're technical solid, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that a teacher lives within that practitioner.

The floor reveals this in that practitioner when that practitioner is on the floor in the role of teacher for the first time. They've been shown how to mirror and things like that over and over again, yet, that practitioner still can't grasp the vital nuances that are required to teach.

That same practitioner might not be able to teach, but that practitioner has the ability to assist. This practitioner, in time, will be able to teach. However, if one can't even assist, then that same can't teach, no matter how patient I might be. And trust me, I'm very patient in this regard.

I think it's more semantics than anything else here, Sensei.

Teaching someone to do something (like teaching) is easy. If they've got the material down, they can be taught how to structure a class, how to critically evaluate a student, how to correct things, and so on.

What you can't teach is a personality. You can't teach someone to always be polite, give them a good disposition, etc. You can help people come across better to an extent, but you can't teach someone a personality. They might try their hardest to fit a certain mold and be able to pull it off for a short time, but they'll revert to their natural self, especially when the unexpected occurs.

Some have a personality for it, and others don't. Doesn't make one a better or worse person than the other. Some people only see things as black and white and don't do well when when things don't go exactly the way they're supposed to. They don't see the potential, only what's here and now. Some people are too impatient and what results now, while others are impatient and want to move on due to a "that's good enough" mentality.

Going through PE Teacher training, I also realized everyone has their target audience, or a group they excel at teaching. It was quite easy to predict what level and demographic they would succeed and fail at.

At the end of the day, the prospective teacher has to have a passion for it as well as the personality. Teaching them how to teach is easy; teaching them to love it and how to carry themself is the futile part.

All IMO.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic RJCKarate.

The paperwork and courses required will differ by country and governing body. In the UK the bare minimum to be expected is a DBS check (criminal history check), insurance (usually supplied through the governing body) and a first aid certification.

In our association we do have instructor training to teach people how to better structure classes and convey their knowledge to the class. Personally I have also gone on general sports coaching courses including courses specifically relating to teaching kids.

With regards to the "not everyone can teach", I think this is true. Some people just do not have a natural ability to communicate and build a rapport with students. That said even if you have natural ability I still think you can be taught how to teach better; you can be shown how to hone your skills and become a better teacher.

I highly recommend Lawrence A. Kane's book for instructor's looking to improve:

Martial Arts Instruction: Applying Educational Theory and Communication Techniques In the Dojo

https://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-Instruction-Educational-Communication/dp/159439024X

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO you can not create a great instructor. We have strict requirements that must be met before one is granted the right (privilege IMHO) to teach.
However these and most requirements do not guarantee success. Just because you can recite the curriculum backwards and forwards and have become very proficient in the skills and obtained the knowledge does not mean you can teach.
In my experience most great teachers have a few traits in common. Most importantly they relish the successes of their students and foster these successes. They hold nothing back and do not fear their students over taking them in knowledge, skill and especially rank. They are humble and extremely knowledgeable. But if there is one thing that makes them great is the fact that they are able to connect with each student on a higher level and pass the knowledge on to each in a way they can comprehend.
I think a great teacher is someone that urn's to pass on all of their knowledge to worthy students in a way that each is able to gain the most from his teachings and improve themselves because of his teachings.
Having said this there are not many that are in this league.
I have strived to emulate my teachers and utilize all that they taught me to benefit my students. Having said this I know I do not come close in this endeavor.
I think all one can do is constantly strive to be better for your students and through this, maybe some day you will have helped them to be a great teacher.
It is good to have requirements to allow someone to teach. It's a qualification test more than anything else. Those that do have requirements most likely produce better teachers in that they weed out those not qualified. Having said this, there are many I have met and stood beside in my years that should not be teaching, even though they passed the requirements to teach.
Some might say this about me and knowing I am not of the same level as my instructors I could not argue this. However the difference is I want to make sure they understand and get the most out of it. Some just go thru the motions and expect their students to fill in the blanks. IMO these are individuals that should not teach.
Rule one is to pass on the flame that was handed down to you so that the art, and not your ego, will live on past your life time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: