Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: How do you explain "chinkuchi" Reply with quote

Those who practise Okinawan karate and might have heard about the concept of "chinkuchi". It is difficult to accurately translate, but it is an Okinawan language word to describe an essential key point in generating power and speed without compromising balance.

The shortest explanation is that "chinkuchi" is explosive power from the core of the body. It is generated by contracting the core muscles as one moves or strikes while maintaining balance by keeping tension. Tension must be constant in the upper sides near the armpits, all around the lower core, as well as in the legs.

For those who have heard the term/concept what is the best way to explain it and easiest for people to understand if you are an instructor?

[/i]

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor wrote a pretty good blog post about it-- http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2012/01/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

His instructor, Charlie Murray, studied it with the founder of Isshinryu's son on Okinawa. Mr. Murray visited and trained with us a few times in the past few years and spoke on Chinkuchi. The best I got out of it was that breathing and focusing on bringing your power from your core allows you to develop more power with less momentum needed.

I'm still don't fully understand it, but it seems like one of those things that just takes time and experience.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to apply correctly and even more to accurately explain in words. The best way to get an idea of it is to learn to feel it and that requires good knowledge of anatomy. One must be made aware of exactly where the tension should be and what muscles are involved.

The most common way instructors teach this is by demonstrating themselves while getting the student to press/strike the tensed area. In training, the instructor might test this by slapping, striking or pressing the appropriate areas while the student executes kihon or a core kata such as Naihanchi or Sanchin.

From personal experience, the most difficult part is synchronizing breathing with movement without losing the tension. One must constantly struggle against the body's reflex to release all tension from one move to the next. It makes kata exhausting and very difficult in the beggining. So far 3 times in a row is the limit. Skilled karateka can do it almost indefinitely after years of training this way.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinkuchi belongs to a high level of martial art understanding.

High level of Synchronized body mechanics.
Balance of Yin/Yang in a instant.
Combined Internal/external power.
Coordinated use of relaxation and tension.

Ultimate spontaneous perfection created in a moment using minimal effort.

Zen martial arts.

Taoist naturalness.

Poetry in motion.

Perfection in an instant.

The "art" in martial arts.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you explain "chinkuchi" Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Those who practise Okinawan karate and might have heard about the concept of "chinkuchi". It is difficult to accurately translate, but it is an Okinawan language word to describe an essential key point in generating power and speed without compromising balance.

The shortest explanation is that "chinkuchi" is explosive power from the core of the body. It is generated by contracting the core muscles as one moves or strikes while maintaining balance by keeping tension. Tension must be constant in the upper sides near the armpits, all around the lower core, as well as in the legs.

For those who have heard the term/concept what is the best way to explain it and easiest for people to understand if you are an instructor?

I have heard the word used when I was younger. I will take your definition as it's been so long I can't remember. However it sounds right.
This is the old dialect (Hogan) and is not widely used today and not even back in the 70's.
My first teacher's instructor would use words like this as an explanation for what he was teaching but again, not widely used and I have not heard some of these terms since the 70's.

[/i]

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei helped explain it to me saying sanchin kata as an example of "prolonged chinkuchi", using the kata as a tool to feel when and how to relax/tense your body. How to flow till the second of impact then using the dynamic tension of the whole body to release the power thru the strike.

Don't know if that helps, I didn't realize how hard it is to put it in words till just now!!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you explain chinkuchi? Carefully and slowly!!

An intriguing, as well as vital element, of any Okinawan MA. Difficult to grasp at first, but with a solid and well versed Sensei, the obstacles are minimized, but evident, yet learnable in due time.

Over and over and over, we heard these words from our Dai-Soke...

"To learn, and to appreciate, the many aspects of Shindokan, learning them isn't enough; one must experience them for themselves!!"

Chinkuchi is no exception! It must be experienced!! That means, hands-on tutelage from ones Sensei as a student is ushered in and through the techniques. How can something be appreciated from afar?? It's possible to do so, but the intimacy of the experience is lost, and therefore the aspect of the technique is lost as well.

Trust must be established first between Sensei and student! Once trust is established, the pot-holes within ones training is minimized drastically. This allows the Sensei to teach, and the student to learn; but they must be one.

Chinkuchi is difficult aspect for the beginner, but in time, that beginner is no longer that beginner; the dawn of experiencing chinkuchi is just over the horizon, but again, only in time!!

This is for certain, chinkuchi can't be learned or appreciated or experienced through this forum/thread!!

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
How do you explain chinkuchi? Carefully and slowly!!

This is for certain, chinkuchi can't be learned or appreciated or experienced through this forum/thread!!

Very true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: