Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: How Do YOu... Reply with quote

How do you keep young children to pay attention to you.....

Just asking other instructors so we get lots of ideas.

How do you keep class interesting........
How do you keep your class flowing......

Just thought this might be a nice thread to start for instructors for ideas and to voice your unique ways on keeping your class running.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you gotta develope your own style on this try to be either a commanding and strict insturctor or the fun guy play games and try to get to know them. They are people to.

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking person-to-person does wonders.

it helps -me- pay attention but im not exactly young

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that magical little word "freeze!"
Play a few games of "Red light, Green light" with them, but call it "Ninja Freeze". Your kids are lined up in the back of the room horizontally, and you're at the other end of the room. When your back is turned and you say "go!" the kids can move. You wait a short bit and then say "1, 2, 3, Ninja FREEZE!" and turn around. It's amazing how "frozen" they'll be. Anyone who moves while they're "frozen" has to start over again from the beginning.
This game is a lot of fun for young kids, and it ingrains the importance of the word "Freeze" in their minds. After you play, sit down with them and have a discussion about why they would want to be able to stop quickly on command. Pretty much, so their parents can keep them from crossing the street. After they get good at Ninja Freeze, yelling "freeze" to get their attention should work pretty well.
Another drill to do is the stance drill. You can do different stances; ready stance (choon-bi or whatever you do before katas etc.), attention stance (standing perfectly straight, feet together, arms straight at sides...kids usually add a bug-eyed expression ), sitting down (sitting cross-legged, back up straight, tight fists on your knees), and any other stances that incorporate standing still. You call out the stances and the kids do them (with you performing, too, facing them so they keep eye contact) quickly. They also have to hold still. They usually do this anyway out of necessity...they need to be able to hear you.
After you've done these drills for awhile, (and keep doing them occasionally), kids begin to associate attention with fun. If the kids are getting unruly as a whole, you can just say "Attention stance!" or whatever, and hopefully they'll freeze.
If you're trying to teach them a technique step-by-step, "freeze" works well..."OK put your hand up there and... freeze!", since kids have a tendency of doing what you tell them, but then flopping all around.

Finally, make sure you award attentiveness. Tell the kids that if they focus, they might get a sticker after class. Then keep an eye on them. At the end of class, you can give them a sticker, or a stamp on their hand, etc. Our kids love this. Your local craft store may even have some stickers of kids in gi doing techniques, bowing, etc. I know my local A.C. Moore has them, anyway. However, if there is a kid or two...or a couple...that quite obviously did NOT focus, don't reward them. Still reward the other kids, but not the ones who were tyrants. Explain to them that if they focus the next time they'll get a sticker/stamp/whatever like everybody else. You might get some criers, but it happens. If you don't want to single out the unfocused kids, you can try giving out just one prize a night, to the kid who was the most focused..."Student of the Night". Try not to give the same kid twice in a row, though.
Try to keep the prizes fresh, cheap and new. That way the kids aren't like "I've already gotten that sticker four times...I don't have to focus now". It may seem like your bribing the kids to be good, but really you're just instilling a habit. By the time they get to the older kids' class (if there is one), it'll be a habit, with or without a sticker.

OK so that's a bit long-winded, but it's 8:49 AM and I'm sleeeepy.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids class is only 30mins.

They can't make it any longer than that for one.

I also do quick stretching make it sort of fun and not just setting arround.

Basic blocks, kicks, and punches with LOUD Kia

Then spar with the teacher. Let them hit me and for some reason they think that is really funny. It teaches them to be agressive but at the same time I will counter and make them focus on balance and keeping away from people when they try and grab you.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching children classes is very challenging to say the least! Our owner/insructor who primarily teaches the children has quite a way about him. He eludes an air of authority while being able to kid around with them. We also have "student" teachers that assist.
You must remember that kids have great enthusiasm and energy, and it is often difficult to focus it successfully because of their low attention span. To get young children to concentrate on a specific technique for more than 5 minutes can be next to impossible.

One way to get kids to enjoy each class from start to finish is to use games as monkeygirl suggested. Children have a tendency to get wrapped up in playing games, allowing you to channel their enthusiasm into something constructive for an extended period of time.

Races are always popular with kids. Divide the class into two or more teams. The students run relay races across the dojo. The races consist of performing techniques as they move across the floor. You can also do individual races, having "stations" set up around the dojo. Time the student from start to finish. Begin with jumping jacks. We take a folded hard surface mat and set it up so student can crawl through it (like a tunnel). Then goes to wavemaster and performs a set amount of kicks. Walks a balance beam. Performs a set amount of punches to hanging bag. Pushups, etc. etc. Whatever you can think of and then time each student. Its a game that teaches speed & endurance!

Sometimes it is announced before the start of some classes that if they are attentive and do well in class "we may have time for a game of dodge ball". We have a large rubber bouncy ball and arrange teams. One team divided on each side of room .... other team in middle. As they are hit they sit out until last person is left. Also teaches speed and evasion skill.

In playing games you should make sure the talented students don't always win. This can be done through manipulating the make-up of the teams or in the consistency of the judging. These games can be used to teach humility to the "superstar" type student who is more coordinated than his peers and is used to always winning. They can also help build self esteem through praise for students who have a low self image.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When demonstrating a technique, I shout "All eyes on me!". I make eye contact with each student, making sure I have their attention. I don't go on demonstrating a technique until I know all my students' eyes are on me.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...I need a drill that slow, chubby kids can win at. I know that sounds terrible, but there's a student who tries very hard all the time, learns his techniques and is very good at all of that, but he's not a very fast runner or a high jumper. He tries not to show it, but I know he's heartbroken when he's one of the first few out in the games we play. I'm hoping he'll get better as he gets older and continues to play, but if he always loses, I'm afraid he'll give up.
Now that I think about it a little more, we might try using Ninja Freeze or Sensei Says. Anyway, are there any that your dojo uses in these cases? I just seriously need something to put this kid in the spotlight for a second and give him a confidence booster.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you say that he has good technique and tries hard, he might be pretty good a point sparring. I know when I was little, I was a little "big boned" and I tried very hard at techniques. Does'nt matter how fast you can run or how high you can jump when ya sparring. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

POWER TO "BIG BONED" PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, back to reality, I think perhaps sparring is a good idea.

Or "bull dog", I dont know whether you Yanks play this game, but you get a few people to stand in the middle of the class, and the rest at one end of the room. Then they run across the room, if the guys in the middle can catch them and pick them up for 3 seconds then they are in the middle to. So if this chubby kid, cant run that fast, then the chances are that the other kids wont be able to hold him up for 3 seconds. And if he is in the middle, chubby kids tend to be a little stronger, so he will have an easier time holding them up.

Just an idea.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any ideas right off hand. Look at him for awhile. Study what he is good at and tailor a game around that. My take awhile to come up with something but if you study someone long enough you begin to know what they excel at.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: