Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Raminhos
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/Kickboxing, Shorinji Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Muayt Thay/ Kick Boxing was easy.... but when I started practicing I saw that it wasn't that easy... learning the moves it's not difficult but doing them well and using them well in a fight it's different... like Drunken Monkey said: "there's a difference between learning something and being good at something"

anewmmafan
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: muay thai, boxing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muay thai is harder than you think. Some techniques such as slipping is very hard since you have to slip on certain moves since you can also get set up to get kicked/kneed/elbowed on the face from your slip. You can't expect to become a master or average muay thai fighter after 5 months. In Thailand kids start training (train all day every day) at 8 and fight until they are in their late 20s.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muay Thai is similar to boxing.

you can learn the basics in a relatively short time, but learning how to be strategic and develop good combinations takes time and practice.

There are 8 different elbow strikes in Muay Thai. But if your in the United Stated you wont get alot of opportunity to practice using them.

there are a few knee strikes.

there is stand up grappling and throws.

There are all your boxing punches.

There are you basic push kicks, and wheel and roundhouse kicks, although some people will also throw in hooks and axe and crescent and whatever.

The are several types of leg blocks and arm blocks, and several counters.

I would estimate that you could learn most of the different moves in about a year if you trained 3 days a week.

I would also say that the strategy part is dependant on alot of other things.

building your body up to handle the sport is another matter.

build your shins up to withstand the blows, and when you do kicks it isnt 50 or 100..

for beginners the "homework" i was given was 200 roundhouse kicks and 100 push kicks a day.

when I was considered intermediate it was 400 roundhouses and 200 push kicks a day..

when i was advanced it was anywhere from 500-700 roundhouses and 300-500 push kicks a day.

at the point you are there this goes fairly quick and you are kicking on a heavy bag as well.

from 4weeks to 2 weeks before any of my muay thai fights I am totalling about 1200 - 1500 kicks a day and the week before i go really light on the kicks maybe 500 total.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for beginners the "homework" i was given was 200 roundhouse kicks and 100 push kicks a day.

when I was considered intermediate it was 400 roundhouses and 200 push kicks a day..

when i was advanced it was anywhere from 500-700 roundhouses and 300-500 push kicks a day.

is this healthy?

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problems i have had was sore ankles from hitting the bag lazy after several kicks.

I have seen a few people get sore knees, but from what we saw it was all a matter of poor form when they were kicking.

as far as time goes, it doesnt take alot of time either, Usually its a little less then 30 minutes.

Its like the guys who do several hundred push ups or situps at one time.
It only looks intimidating because your body isnt used to it.

Its not like im taking baseball bats over my shins

anyone practicing karate, unless they have physical issues would be able to get up that many kicks over time.

remember that workout I am talking about is designed for active fighters as well.

Muay Thai isnt really a form that i saw people doing for recreation..

cardio kickboxing and muay thai are vastly different

muaythaifreak
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also is going to depend upon who your opponent is. If your talking about the average person, you're going to be able to descimate joe blow the rag man after only a few months, assuming you have the drive to fight to begin with. If your talking about being good enough to compete with other Thai Boxers.... that may be a different story. I had my first fight after two years of training. Probably could have done it in less, but I had seen MT fights and was in no hurry to jump the gun and get my *** handed to me. Good and good enough are also very different things. If you simply have a decent grasp on how to clinch and knee, that's probably gonna end most of your fights in the street. Someone who knows how to block and counter knees and also knows how to work the clinch, well, you may find you need to work on some elbows, throws, etc...

Basically, it all depends upon what you mean by good.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you do 1500 kicks a day, this is both legs put together, not 1500 each, right?

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

martialartsresearcher
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of stances are there in muay thai? thanks guys.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radok yes both legs together

as far as stances go..

I would probably word it more as footwork then stances.
the way i was taught had me operating on the balls of my feet alot.
everything is taught from a front stance i guess is the best way to put it.

I know that peopel like Maurice smith have tapes they sell where they say they teach you stances... I have never seen the tapes and as such am not sure what they show.

I could be misunderstanding you as well, as stances i think of all the stances i have in kenpo like, nuetral bow, forward and backward bows, close kneel, twist, wide kneel, it goes on and on..

muaythaifreak
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use a stance similar to that of a boxer but with the weight being held mainly by the rear leg. Feet apart a bit more than shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, not quite square to the opponent, hands and shoulders up, chin down, elbows in. Best way I can describe it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: