Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: How much training in kicking does a Shotokan Dojo do? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am curious how the Shotokan curriculum looks given that there are no kicks in the katas except for the sidekick, crescent kick, front kick, and turning kick on the ground.

When (if ever) do you start elaborate kick-training for beginners?. And are some of the more modern kicks like spinning back kicks/sidekicks, reverse roundhouse kick part of all Shotokan dojos, or is it up to the instructor?

Based on what I've seen it still looks very traditional with emphasis on the straight punches in various stances and not even remotely the same time devoted to kicking.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varies school to school and their requirements. I know a lot of schools irrespective of style would love to spend more time on kicking.

I know my sensei would love to spend more time on kicking, but other things come up and we have to focus on those.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:

I know my sensei would love to spend more time on kicking, but other things come up and we have to focus on those.

How much drills would you estimate you guys devote to punches vs kicks? I train ITF/Chang Hon-TaeKwon-Do which was based on Shotokan and Id' say it's roughly 80% kicks in drills (mitts), while training basics (excluding patterns) it's 95% hand techniques. I suspect our grandmasters age (60+) has something to do with it because he does not demonstrate any elaborate kicks, thus has no interest in devoting the basics to it. Which is a shame given that he's a 9th Dan (highest). I am sure he knows a thing or too about kicking...

The asisstant instructors are the ones demonstrating kicks in our power training (mitts).

Last edited by Prototype on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at a shotokan club last year and they spend as much time kicking as punching. We do spinning back kicks and hook kicks but I've never seen them teach anything more acrobatic!

Our instructor said just the other week that mawashigeri was a relatively new addition to shotokan!

On the other hand I trained with a guy one who said he once trained at a shotokan club where they didn't teach any kicks until after a year of training.

I'd say it depends on the club syllabus and the instructor, so if you want something that concentrates on elaborate kicking it might be worth looking around at clubs or perhaps different styles as shotokan is know for it's strong linear movements.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:
I started at a shotokan club last year and they spend as much time kicking as punching. We do spinning back kicks and hook kicks but I've never seen them teach anything more acrobatic!

Our instructor said just the other week that mawashigeri was a relatively new addition to shotokan!

On the other hand I trained with a guy one who said he once trained at a shotokan club where they didn't teach any kicks until after a year of training.

I'd say it depends on the club syllabus and the instructor, so if you want something that concentrates on elaborate kicking it might be worth looking around at clubs or perhaps different styles as shotokan is know for it's strong linear movements.

I am quite happy with my choice of ITF TaeKwon-Do since 2 years back. Just wanted to know what it's like in the Shotokan world!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

How much drills would you estimate you guys devote to punches vs kicks? I train ITF/Chang Hon-TaeKwon-Do which was based on Shotokan and Id' say it's roughly 80% kicks in drills (mitts), while training basics (excluding patterns) it's 95% hand techniques. I suspect our grandmasters age (60+) has something to do with it because he does not demonstrate any elaborate kicks, thus has no interest in devoting the basics to it. Which is a shame given that he's a 9th Dan (highest). I am sure he knows a thing or too about kicking...

The asisstant instructors are the ones demonstrating kicks in our power training (mitts).

I think this depends very much on which master you are under. I also do ITF TKD and some of the people I've trained with are very kick orientated including for fundamentals, others are very hand orientated. Ultimately the style is supposed to more balanced between the two.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

We roughly do 70% Hand Techniques vs. 30% Kicking Techniques. This is usually due to the lack of available space that we have for our dojo and numbers of students.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied in a traditional Shotokan dojo for many years. Up to Black Belt we only did the basic kicks-front, side round, hook, cresent, etc. Nothing fancy.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I "learned" a front kick in 6 months when taking Shotokan as a kid. It wasn't at all what it was promoted as (more kicking oriented). And I was frankly impatient and bored.

Even this old video paints a very different picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOp_OfSv40s

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
I studied in a traditional Shotokan dojo for many years. Up to Black Belt we only did the basic kicks-front, side round, hook, cresent, etc. Nothing fancy.

But how much time spent on it is the key question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: