Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RobertAslin2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: American Ed Parker Kenpo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: How to brush off the rust after a hiatus Reply with quote

A couple of months ago, the school I frequent sadly had to close its doors. I've been keeping myself active with running, cycling, and work, but I've been feeling the need to get back into the swing of things. Are there any exercises you recommend for brushing the rust off?
"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." - Ed Parker

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with you Kata.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As LLLearner said, start with kata. If your school had any standardized stuff like 1 steps, 3 steps, etc. those would be good too. During kihon, our teacher repeats a lot of combinations often; if your school did that, it would also be good to do. Basically, replicate the solo parts of class.

A bit of caution - don't start doing stuff you don't fully remember or didn't learn sufficiently to do on your own. If you were just taught a kata before the dojo clos d and you're trying to remember things like which foot was forward, how you were supposed to do a particular strike, etc., then don't practice it. You'll probably piece it together wrong and end up ingratiating mistakes.

If you've got a punching bag or access to one at a gym, that's a great way to stay in "fighting shape."

Are you looking for a new dojo?

RobertAslin2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: American Ed Parker Kenpo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an olympic TKD school closeby, and one of the instructors I trained under started teaching at another school. I might be able to find that one.
"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." - Ed Parker

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warfare Combat System

"DK Yoo Korean Systema"

Body mechanics, more ways of using of applying natural movement all round will be helpful no matter your chosen style.

Example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_IZeX4N0s

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can start with Basics + Kata, both fundemental Karate. When i took time off training, they were the two that I went back to when I returned

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Well you can start with Basics + Kata, both fundemental Karate. When i took time off training, they were the two that I went back to when I returned
Nidan Melbourne has a good valid point, getting back to basics is always recommend.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took about 5 or 6 months off. The first thing I did was mentally went through my forms (this can be done anywhere, anytime.) I also went through some basics, and started a regular stretching/workout routine, as well as practicing my forms. Granted I only started this a week before returning to actual class, my instructors were pleased that, while a bit rusty, I still had most of what I did before the break.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: