Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: I need more combinations...ideas and suggestions Reply with quote

Hi there, i'm trying to up my Muay Thai game, by adding in more combinations. Just wondering if anyone has some favorites they've had a lot o success with?

Also, I was wondering from those who are from a karate background, if they've had success with a particular technique or combination? I've been watching a lot of kyokushin videos, and have picked up the axe kick pretty well, and i've noticed one particular combo, a 1-2 to the body and kick to the head is pretty effective, but does it translate well to thai boxing?

Just trying to think outside the box here, any suggestions are welcome!

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the axe kick to knock down the guards(hands) of the opponent and then hit with the 1-2 punch.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-2 followed with a head kick is a great finisher.
I never expect this to land at first, as people tend to be more on guard at the start of a match. Its more of a finisher, in my experience, to end a match when fatigue sets in.

My personal fav is:
Front leg roundhouse, solid jab, cross, rear leg round house.
Then follow up with cross/hook front uppercut, which will lead you back to starting position if your in control of the fights movement.
Alternate follow up is for the rear leg to move straight into a second kick once it retracts from the roundhouse, such as a spinning back kick or axe kick.
In Japanese (kyokushin talk):
Hidari Mawashi geri, Oi Tsuki, Gyaku Tsuki, Migi Mawashi Geri.
The other great thing about this particular combo is you can vary the height of th kicks with ease. Mix it up and keep your opponent thinking.
Low kick, punch/punch, mid kick.
Low kick, punch/punch, low kick.
Low kick, punch/punch, high kick.
High kick, punch/punch, low/takedown kick.

You get the picture.

A personal MT fav of mine is a soft/quick jab, followed through to a spinning elbow on the opposite arm.

Capt. Kiddie
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Kyokushin - Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that has worked greatly for me is probably the same one that you described.

Jab to the face, Right Cross to the body (make sure he takes his guard down to block) and a roundhouse to the head.

Jab, Cross, Roundhouse.

Another combination that has worked "okay" is Jab-Cross-Cross.
It's for use with a low-guard, otherwise it will miss a lot of power. Great for Kyokushin sparring.

And finally, one of my favorites. More of a setup.

Jab and create some distance, the put in a LONG front kick to fend off your opponent for a few seconds, then go ahead with a massive back side kick.
Worked a few times.

Side kicks in general are great, actually. As specially for defense. No combination needed.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great question and a great example of why I love this message board!
Rather than having a go-to combination, I recall making major strides in my Muay Thai when I increased my shadow boxing with many kicking combinations. My foot worked improved greatly.
Also, if you have a good training partner, fun low-impact very light but very fluid "sparring" with combinations helps develop the combos in real time making adjustments with range. This was a big help for me. Sparring may not be the right word by the way. I had a few partners where we would put on pads and very gingerly allow each other to work combos while we bounced around. It's "cooperative low impact" sparring. This was immensely helpful and a real game changer for me and my development.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also do a google search, see if there is some Muay Thai channels that you could subscribe to. There are some good sources on YouTube.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front push kick head kick to spinning back fist is a favorite of mine. you keep them miving to the rear something should land of the three. the beauty of the spinning backfist though is if they try and move in on you it can be changed to a spinning elbow. hope that's a helper. or front leg roundhouse to the thigh and then bring the foot to the head. this is a good one to use if you've been overwhelming your opponent and they are tired and juat trying to survive. a lot of times you can catch them with their hands down when you throw the kick to the inside of the leg.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknownstyle wrote:
Front push kick head kick .
LOVE THIS TECHNIQUE!!

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fightsgoneby.com/

Read all of Jack Slack's articles, concepts with help you more than combinations I'd wager.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
1-2 followed with a head kick is a great finisher.
I never expect this to land at first, as people tend to be more on guard at the start of a match. Its more of a finisher, in my experience, to end a match when fatigue sets in.

My personal fav is:
Front leg roundhouse, solid jab, cross, rear leg round house.
Then follow up with cross/hook front uppercut, which will lead you back to starting position if your in control of the fights movement.
Alternate follow up is for the rear leg to move straight into a second kick once it retracts from the roundhouse, such as a spinning back kick or axe kick.
In Japanese (kyokushin talk):
Hidari Mawashi geri, Oi Tsuki, Gyaku Tsuki, Migi Mawashi Geri.
The other great thing about this particular combo is you can vary the height of th kicks with ease. Mix it up and keep your opponent thinking.
Low kick, punch/punch, mid kick.
Low kick, punch/punch, low kick.
Low kick, punch/punch, high kick.
High kick, punch/punch, low/takedown kick.

You get the picture.

A personal MT fav of mine is a soft/quick jab, followed through to a spinning elbow on the opposite arm.

visited This thread again for ideas while shadow-boxing

At my kickboxing school we're taught that generally speaking, after you punch with left you kick with right and after punching with your right you kick with your left. Is that just for beginners? I notice your combos don't follow this, and I've seen plenty online that also don't. The instructors are mostly kyokushin-based I think, or at least have their base in some form of karate. When I try to kick with one leg after punching with the same hand I only manage to do it with any power if the punch is a feint.

Also, any idea how I can work combos that start with a kick into my shadow boxing? nowadays I follow my kicks through, which means that when I don't have a target I can't follow a kick up with a punch, only a spinning kick or side kick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: