Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: If you could give advice Reply with quote

If you could give advice to someone thinking about joining the MA's what common misconceptions would you correct before they join?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to put all your effort into it.
What you end up getting out of it may not be what your looking for when you start.
Be open to learning.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All rank is earned; nothing is given away, and in that, ONLY the CI decides that, and in that, proof is on the floor!!

I've a list, trust me, however, this, what I've written above, is at the very top of my list!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranks are earned, and not something tied to money.

Also relax and enjoy the journey, even when training is hard you will find things easier when your relaxed.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank is earned would be at the top of my list as well.

How about -

The belt does not make the man, the man makes the belt.

Do not look down at the white belt as it's the first step and without it you can not start your journey. A black belt starts with a white belt.

Always maintain a beginners mind.

If you are always concerned with how others are doing you fail to concentrate on your own progress and improvement and get left behind.

Quality over speed. Its not a race to the finish line. We all learn at different paces.

Humility, integrity and compassion is not a weakness.

Never give up. Seven times down, Eight times up.

Do not underestimate anyone.

Real MA is not found in the movies.

Don't blame others for your failures. Look in the mirror and accept it and then do something about it. It's a personal journey that only you can find success or failure in. If you do not get to test because you did not practice outside of class or you did not pay attention while in class and all of the other students did, you can only blame one person, YOU!
Take responsibility for yourself and your actions.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: If you could give advice Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
If you could give advice to someone thinking about joining the MA's what common misconceptions would you correct before they join?

I would tell them to have fun. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Treat it as such. Life gets in the way sometimes, don't beat yourself up. Learn to love the art, and above all, have fun.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If you could give advice Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

I would tell them to have fun. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Treat it as such. Life gets in the way sometimes, don't beat yourself up. Learn to love the art, and above all, have fun.

Love it! Solid suggestion and probably most over looked.

I tend to over look this because I had an instant love for the art and because of this I always had fun and can say I do to this day. Great advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: