Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pdbnb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: "If You're Asking About Chon-Ji I Can't Hear You" Reply with quote

...my instructor said to me yesterday when I was trying to remember the steps to Chon-Ji and asked him. Now, I realise I'm a white belt still, and Chon-Ji is a 9th Kup pattern (ours are Sanju Makgi and Sanju Jirugi - 4-directional punch and block), and I know he means well. But shouldn't he be encouraging me to remember a more difficult technique (which he did run the White Belt Club through on one occasion) instead of shooting me down?

Just wondering...

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had an instructor refuse to answer a question? If I ever treated a student like that, especially a white belt, I'd be in serious trouble with the head master.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you saying you are asking him about the techniques in a form that you is not part of your current rank requirements? If that's the case, then the instructor is right, I think, although he could approach it a bit better. Or, he could be pointing out to you that you should focus a bit more on your Saju drills before getting too carried away with Chon Ji hyung.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you saying you are asking him about the techniques in a form that you is not part of your current rank requirements? If that's the case, then the instructor is right, I think, although he could approach it a bit better. Or, he could be pointing out to you that you should focus a bit more on your Saju drills before getting too carried away with Chon Ji hyung.

Hadn't thought of it that way...if I had a student ask a question about a form he/she wasn't working on yet I would just suggest that the question be asked when he/she was working on the form.

Guess I'm used to Chon-Ji being the first form since that's how it is where I go...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a case of what bushido_man96 said. You have a lifetime to learn the patterns pdbnb, just nail saju makgi and jirugi and not worry about Chonji until your instructor says so.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I'm not TKD but if any student of mine is asking about something that's not of their current rank curriculum, my answer would be...."Please worry about what's in the present, and not what's in the future, ESPECIALLY during YOUR class." I've no problem answering their question if the question is just a thirst of knowledge but even then, I'll still end our conversation with what I've answered above.

The thirst for knowledge is a good thing for a student just as long as they remain in the context of the question and within the content of their rank.

Ok..I'll go back to my karate corner now.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Hadn't thought of it that way...if I had a student ask a question about a form he/she wasn't working on yet I would just suggest that the question be asked when he/she was working on the form.

Guess I'm used to Chon-Ji being the first form since that's how it is where I go...

I'm the same way. We don't do the Saju exercises, we just go right into Chon Ji as a white belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: