Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Interesting responses so far guys

Even if you are doing OJT, do you break it down into different methods for explaining techniques to students and how they should go about correcting mistakes?

I like the idea of having trainees assisting in the class. That way, they can watch my approach to teaching, and listen to how I address details, and then I can let them take over a small session and listen to how they do it. I can jump in to clarify anything, and afterwards I can take the time to review them, tell them what appeared to work well, and what I perhaps would have approached differently, and then explain to them how I would have approached it.

One of the big things I learned as I became an instructor was learning how to teach the same thing to different students in different ways. Everyone learns differently, but we are trying to get them all to learn the same things. The bigger and broader the student base, the more opportunities there are to improve this skill.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Interesting responses so far guys

Even if you are doing OJT, do you break it down into different methods for explaining techniques to students and how they should go about correcting mistakes?

I like the idea of having trainees assisting in the class. That way, they can watch my approach to teaching, and listen to how I address details, and then I can let them take over a small session and listen to how they do it. I can jump in to clarify anything, and afterwards I can take the time to review them, tell them what appeared to work well, and what I perhaps would have approached differently, and then explain to them how I would have approached it.

One of the big things I learned as I became an instructor was learning how to teach the same thing to different students in different ways. Everyone learns differently, but we are trying to get them all to learn the same things. The bigger and broader the student base, the more opportunities there are to improve this skill.

I like having them observe as well for them to see how things are run, and explained in different ways. Normally when I have new instructors come into the dojo, I get them to take the warm up and then take a small group on their own but with a more advanced person there keeping an eye on things.

Especially when you first start out teaching you don't really know what to look out for in techniques, so you do need to show them what to look for and how to explain.

Heck there was one time I had to explain targetting to a student by using a Donut as an example. The donut has a hole in the middle, for the targetting you want to aim for the hole in the middle and not hit anything else other than that hole

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the ISKF after 2 dan you are able to apply for the instructor training. The course is 6 years and contains many requirements in technical knowledge of Kata,Kumite ,judging, and competition rule sets. A large focus seems to fall on study of physical health and some Karate history I know at least in my semnsei's case he wrote many fine papers on joint health and mindset. Ho0nestly I think this is a good set up it was set in place by Okazaki sensei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: