Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Instructor training Reply with quote

How does your school or association train instructors?

Do you have a formal programme to train people to teach or do new instructors learn on the job?

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no formalized instructor training, so I guess OJT is the rule. What I personally did was starting (a student) at brown belt (there are 3 before black) I would assign a brown belt student to run the warmups and exercies at the start of class. From there they would do basics (blocks, kicks and punches done as part of every warmup drill).

Depending on what we're doing that day, I would have brown belts (actually, any student that I know can help others) pair up with new students, or lower ranked belts, and help them with any issues they might be having, such as kata, blocks, kicks, etc.

Basically, I delegated tasks for my upper belts partly so they learned how to teach, and partly to free myself for more advanced things. (ie: naps, eating, football, etc lol ) KIDDING!

When a student got their back belt I would start them teaching the entire class..start to finish, under my supervision. Only when I was certain they were able to teach without being supervised, would I allow them to teach alone and uninterupted. VERY rarely was I not in the class, or at least in the dojo somewhere. Afterall, it's MY dojo and I'm responsible for literally everything that goes on there.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my club and old club for that matter we had no formalised training program that we run.

What we do is when they reach Brown Belt (2nd Kyu) they are able to assist teaching. But they also have to be at least 12 years old. They can run the warm up, and take a small group under express supervision of a black belt.

If we have adults that are 14+ and are 2nd Kyu they are able to take groups on their own but is dependent on their skill level, but not allowed to bow classes in or out.

At Black Belt they are allowed to bow the class in and out if they are the most senior instructor there, as is the case for me during out juniors classes on Saturday Mornings where I am the most senior there.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor training Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Do you have a formal programme to train people to teach or do new instructors learn on the job?

Great question! Thanks, Danielle!

Instructors within Shindokan are chosen by the individual dojo's, alas, by the designated CI of those individual dojo's, and this takes place at Sankyu, and no sooner. Therefore, it's all OJT!!

The Hombu does have remedial classes for designated instructors! It's held twice a year, usually in the 1st and 3rd quarter. These classes are 1 month in duration, and they're administered by the CI of the SKKA, which is currently our Kancho, Greg Forsythe, who's a Hachidan as well as Hanshi. All designated instructors within the SKKA network are welcomed to attend, however, they must remain in house at the Hombu for that full month that the classes are in session. If not, they receive a "Drop" on their Hard Card, but this is more clerical than administrative; said instructor is always welcomed back without questions.

I choose my instructors, and I demand that my instructors attend the remedial classes at the Hombu every two years. I hold "Pep" classes with my instructors daily, and I hold "101" classes once every quarter.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor training Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Pretty much on the job training. First we have a student with excellent technique be a sempai I.e. Someone that has great technique that can demonstrate the moves up front. There job is to be a model student and get pads or perhaps help the younger students a bit. Then slowly we might have them lead one drill. There job is not to do any correcting, that's for the instructor. Then slowly depending on the individual we give them more responsibilities.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor training Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:

Instructors within Shindokan are chosen by the individual dojo's, alas, by the designated CI of those individual dojo's, and this takes place at Sankyu, and no sooner. Therefore, it's all OJT!!

The Hombu does have remedial classes for designated instructors! It's held twice a year, usually in the 1st and 3rd quarter. These classes are 1 month in duration, and they're administered by the CI of the SKKA, which is currently our Kancho, Greg Forsythe, who's a Hachidan as well as Hanshi. All designated instructors within the SKKA network are welcomed to attend, however, they must remain in house at the Hombu for that full month that the classes are in session. If not, they receive a "Drop" on their Hard Card, but this is more clerical than administrative; said instructor is always welcomed back without questions.

I choose my instructors, and I demand that my instructors attend the remedial classes at the Hombu every two years. I hold "Pep" classes with my instructors daily, and I hold "101" classes once every quarter.

Is there a reason why you're not considered to be the CI since you're the Kaicho. Or is your current position more administrative?

PS. I totally agree I think every black belt, every so often, should take a beginner class to work on their foundation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor training Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:

Is there a reason why you're not considered to be the CI since you're the Kaicho. Or is your current position more administrative?

PS. I totally agree I think every black belt, every so often, should take a beginner class to work on their foundation.

When I was first elected to the Kaicho position, I was the CI of the SKKA/Hombu. However, seeing that I'm not in house but 5 times a year, I felt that it made perfect sense to appoint Greg Forsythe, our Kaicho, to be the CI seeing that he lives less than 10 miles from the Hombu, whereas, I'm in Houston, TX.

As Kaicho, the buck stops here, with myself, across the board, no matter the department!! As Kaicho, I oversee Administrative, Executive, and Technical departments; these are the three top departments at the SKKA/Hombu. GM's of these departments report to me directly.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor training Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:

When I was first elected to the Kaicho position, I was the CI of the SKKA/Hombu. However, seeing that I'm not in house but 5 times a year, I felt that it made perfect sense to appoint Greg Forsythe, our Kaicho, to be the CI seeing that he lives less than 10 miles from the Hombu, whereas, I'm in Houston, TX.

As Kaicho, the buck stops here, with myself, across the board, no matter the department!! As Kaicho, I oversee Administrative, Executive, and Technical departments; these are the three top departments at the SKKA/Hombu. GM's of these departments report to me directly.

Solid !

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current org doesn't have any codified methodology to training instructors. In our school, 1st dans earn the responsibility of teaching teaching orientations, and 3rd dans over the age of 18 should be instructing classes. Unfortunately, there really isn't a process for bridging those gaps.

One thing I'll say about the ATA is that they have a great instructor development program. They have various levels, like junior trainees for those under 18 that want to help with classes, trainee instructors, who stand at the head of a class with a head instructor and actively work the room to help with warm-ups, technique, etc. As an instructor trainee, the head instructor also logs the hours spent assisting in classes, and a trainee must accumulate a required number of hours (1900 last I checked) in order to apply for instructor certification. Once they meet the hours and the rest of the requirements, a trainee becomes eligible to attend instructor certification camp at the org HQ in Little Rock, AR.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is done naturally without any predetermined training or program specific to becoming an instructor. The dojo atmosphere is very casual and friendly and everyone is expected to help one another, especially those who have shodan or higher.

Being able to explain as well as demonstrate is part of regular training and included in evaluations. As of yet, none of those who have a high enough rank have asked for or received permission to teach their own students. The blackbelts get experience and practise teaching in the dojo by helping others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: