Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Instructors who weren't star pupils Reply with quote

So as we all know coming up in the martial arts can be difficult for some people. (It was for me at least). Do anyone here who currently teaches, as you were coming up not necessarily the best student. But because you stuck with it you improved. Do you feel that because you weren't always the best student that makes you a better teacher?

I.E. You're more understanding with people not getting stuff just as you had trouble.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never the star pupil or the best student. But I was always making sure that I was working the hardest to improve in technique and knowledge. But I know that doesn't make me the best teacher, what makes me a good teacher is learning how to teach the hardest things but in the simplest way possible.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic, The Pred!!

Yeah, I was the furthest thing from being a star student...at all ranks!! I was all thumbs with two backwards left feet. I was a master at just not ever getting it, and my AHA moments were akin to a dark room, but the AHA moments did occur in spite of myself.

But my persistency over the years has paid off, and I wouldn't have chosen a easier path if given the opportunity to do so. No...I'm content with my failures because, in time, those failures turned into victories.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started when I was 4 (was forced to) wasn't a fan when I was younger, but I guess I grew into it. I know my strengths and weakness, I'm not the most athletic or anything like that, but I like to consider myself a good instructor, who can notice things that others are doing right or wrong.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started when I was 5, growing up with karate it felt really natural to me, changed clubs a couple of times and always seemed to pick everything up pretty quickly, then when I became an instructor I had to learn all the mistakes and bad habbits that can be made so that I can help the students, I make a point of using this experience to reassure my students, that it doesn't matter how long it takes them to get it right or how many mistakes, because making those mistakes helps them gain the experience to be able to identify it later on if they end up becoming instructors or assistant instructors.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had natural talent and worse still, terrible coordination and was much slower to learn. However, after all this time I am still there and many "naturals" have given up or moved on to other things because karate was "too easy and boring". The only thing that makes a difference is how much one works to learn and improve, not the initial qualities one starts with so long as one never stops.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Never had natural talent and worse still, terrible coordination and was much slower to learn. However, after all this time I am still there and many "naturals" have given up or moved on to other things because karate was "too easy and boring". The only thing that makes a difference is how much one works to learn and improve, not the initial qualities one starts with so long as one never stops.

Very true

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mediocre students can sometimes be better teachers. Having seen plenty of people make the move and transition from student to instructor, those that are naturally really good just sometimes don't get why a particular movement or concept can be difficult for us mere mortals to grasp. Teachers that struggled themselves I feel have a much deeper understanding of the mechanics and methodologies as they had to learn to compensate for poorer ability.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a wide gap between merely being able to do something well and understanding why and how to do it well.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to define "star pupil." Do you mean athletic ability, catching on/understanding quickly, or willingness to learn?

I'd consider a star pupil someone who is genuinely coachable; they listen, ask relevant questions, and try their hardest to implement what's being taught.

I've met a ton of excellent athletes (not just in MA) who weren't coachable. They could easily do what they were told, but pretty much always thought they knew better and/or didn't have to listen. I wouldn't call them star pupils.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: