Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many instructors are going to be looking to make some money, so they can stay open and perhaps take home a little extra for themselves. I don't think teaching Martial Arts should be a volunteer venture. It is possible to find a good school that charges high monthly dues.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Many instructors are going to be looking to make some money, so they can stay open and perhaps take home a little extra for themselves. I don't think teaching Martial Arts should be a volunteer venture. It is possible to find a good school that charges high monthly dues.

I agree & more than happy to pay extra as long as they teach a real art & don't compromise the art for the sake of money

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my living teaching martial arts but I dont rake my students over the coals. They are what drives my passion and my hope is always that they will be inspired to pass it on too! If you teach from the heart, and not from your wallet, you wil have successes that money cant buy!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
If you teach from the heart, and not from your wallet, you wil have successes that money cant buy!

I really like it & it's very true. Thanks

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
I make my living teaching martial arts but I dont rake my students over the coals. They are what drives my passion and my hope is always that they will be inspired to pass it on too! If you teach from the heart, and not from your wallet, you wil have successes that money cant buy!

I agree with this. If an instructor can provide a quality product on the floor at a competitive price, then the instructor should gain enough students to make a decent profit and keep the doors open, so long as the demographics of the area meet the needs of the school.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
If an instructor can provide a quality product on the floor at a competitive price

I think that will be rare to find !

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I agree with this. If an instructor can provide a quality product on the floor at a competitive price, then the instructor should gain enough students to make a decent profit and keep the doors open, so long as the demographics of the area meet the needs of the school.

This.

People have to make a living. Most have families to support. To denigrate MA instructors who are trying to keep the lights on in both the dojo and their home is wrong.

I think the problem people have is MA instructors who offer subpar instruction and milk students for every last penny with inflexible contracts (I have nothing against contracts, but they need to be used to protect both parties, not just the dojo at the expense of the student), exorbitant testing and promotion fees, black belt clubs that hold students back from advanced training until they pay more, etc.

An instructor who's offering quality instruction in a quality facility can and should charge a premium for that. As long as the price is fair to those involved and there are no hidden prices or shady sales tactics, an instructor SHOULD be trying to turn enough profit to support himself and his family.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far back as it is possible to look into the history of martial arts and the ways these were taught, instructors were always paid in one way or another. Either goods, work or other things. Even if an instructor teaches for free or asks nothing in return, it is common courtesy and good ethics for students to offer something as a token of thanks.

Those who teach for free do it because they earn their living doing something else. This doesn't mean, however, that such an instructor is less passionate or less dedicated.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
If an instructor can provide a quality product on the floor at a competitive price

To the bold type above...

Why is that, iyho??

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

To the bold type above...

Why is that, iyho??

From what I can see here in Sydney at least (not sure about USA) most of the instructors will be looking more for money & lock in contracts and some of them might compromise the art for the sake of money, some will get you to pass grading even if you are not that good just to make you happy and remain in the dojo , others will never correct your techniques so you don't leave the dojo. Some students will be very happy with that but I won't, if I am gonna train in Karate then I will need to do my best to perfect it (if this is possible in any way) but not to be taught the right thing then for me it's waste of money & time.

As I mentioned before money is important for Instructors who earn their living form the dojo but shouldn't be more important than the art itself. It's like a doctor who doesn't give their patient enough consultation time / care in order to be able to fit in as many patient as they can during their working shifts!

I have no experience with managing dojos & don't know the finaincial aspect of it so I might be wrong but that's just what I can see (may be I was unlucky with the dojos that I have visited / contacted) !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: