Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
If an instructor can provide a quality product on the floor at a competitive price

I think that will be rare to find !

To the bold type above...

Why is that, iyho??

From what I can see here in Sydney at least (not sure about USA) most of the instructors will be looking more for money & lock in contracts and some of them might compromise the art for the sake of money, some will get you to pass grading even if you are not that good just to make you happy and remain in the dojo , others will never correct your techniques so you don't leave the dojo. Some students will be very happy with that but I won't, if I am gonna train in Karate then I will need to do my best to perfect it (if this is possible in any way) but not to be taught the right thing then for me it's waste of money & time.

As I mentioned before money is important for Instructors who earn their living form the dojo but shouldn't be more important than the art itself. It's like a doctor who doesn't give their patient enough consultation time / care in order to be able to fit in as many patient as they can during their working shifts!

I have no experience with managing dojos & don't know the finaincial aspect of it so I might be wrong but that's just what I can see (may be I was unlucky with the dojos that I have visited / contacted) !
Have you seen this for certain? Do you truly feel that most, that is, a high percentage of the dojos available to you, are doing this? If that is the case, then I feel bad for your situation. Have you checked in on a bulk of the dojos in your area? Surely there is one that will offer what you are looking for.

Again, don't be turned off by price automatically. And don't be turned off by contracts automatically. Most instructors don't want to be bill collectors, so having a billing agency handle it for them is a boon to them. If they are worth their salt at all, they should offer some way to get out of a contract if you are truly not happy with it. But don't give up hope, and keep looking!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Have you seen this for certain? Do you truly feel that most, that is, a high percentage of the dojos available to you, are doing this? If that is the case, then I feel bad for your situation. Have you checked in on a bulk of the dojos in your area? Surely there is one that will offer what you are looking for.

Again, don't be turned off by price automatically. And don't be turned off by contracts automatically. Most instructors don't want to be bill collectors, so having a billing agency handle it for them is a boon to them. If they are worth their salt at all, they should offer some way to get out of a contract if you are truly not happy with it. But don't give up hope, and keep looking!

I have been through many schools for different MAs and most of them were like that. Regarding the contract, tbh I hate this idea because the contract will be all the time in the favour of the school not the student and with possibility of circumstances changing every now and again, I will never lock myself in a contract. Even when I am looking for gym, I will go for one with no contract even if it's not as good as the contract one !

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will sign contracts for so many things, but not for an MA membership. I don't get it sometimes.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I have been through many schools for different MAs and most of them were like that. Regarding the contract, tbh I hate this idea because the contract will be all the time in the favour of the school not the student and with possibility of circumstances changing every now and again, I will never lock myself in a contract. Even when I am looking for gym, I will go for one with no contract even if it's not as good as the contract one !

I hate seeing Contracts being used at schools, because it is a hard thing to judge for each individual person and whether it is a good fit.

At my dojo our memberships other than a standard direct debit, normally offers various things that works out to be cheaper in the long run over the direct debit option.

90% of our students are on a Direct Debit which currently sits at $95 per month; courtesy of the location having increased our rent. The 10% that don't do the Direct Debit and are on a contract are those students who train regularly and are normally on the State or National Squad.

But those "contracts" can be cancelled at any time with no negative consequence to the Member. We normally give a refund of any time remaining left if they paid in full, unless they are currently in the "free training period" of that membership where they don't receive the refund.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
People will sign contracts for so many things, but not for an MA membership. I don't get it sometimes.

Yes I will sign contract for essentials only ( electricity, gas, internet, ...) but not for gym or MA, I just don't feel comfortable to lock myself in a contract that will cost me say $1200 a year ! It's big chunck that I am happy to pay if I am training but if after 6 months for any reason I stopped training then I will pay $600 for nothing & I am not ready to do that !

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I hate seeing Contracts being used at schools, because it is a hard thing to judge for each individual person and whether it is a good fit.

At my dojo our memberships other than a standard direct debit, normally offers various things that works out to be cheaper in the long run over the direct debit option.

90% of our students are on a Direct Debit which currently sits at $95 per month; courtesy of the location having increased our rent. The 10% that don't do the Direct Debit and are on a contract are those students who train regularly and are normally on the State or National Squad.

But those "contracts" can be cancelled at any time with no negative consequence to the Member. We normally give a refund of any time remaining left if they paid in full, unless they are currently in the "free training period" of that membership where they don't receive the refund.

Good to know that there are some contracts still in students' favour! If I moved to Melbourne one day, I will join your dojo for sure
Another reason why I don't like lock in contracts is that may be after 3-4 classes you feel this school or instructor or even art is not for you, what will you do then ?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: