Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Is it normal ? Reply with quote

Is it normal that you don't like KATA ?!

Most of the time I feel like I don't like practising KATA , feel it's not that important ! i know I am wrong & KATA is important as all practitioners say so but is it normal to feel like that when you are a beginner ? How do you get yourself to like it ?!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to understand the bunkai of each move if you are bored (Maybe not the right word). I love kata tho, some more than others, but I would say once you have the perfect kata then you can rest...lol.................i.e. never.......

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody has some part of their particular martial art they don't like so much. Some kata, some sparring. I don't particularly like Ippon gummite but, I like kata. Try breaking the kata down and look at the bunkai to it, if you have more of an idea what each move could potentially be, then you might like it a bit better.

Mo.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Try to understand the bunkai of each move if you are bored (Maybe not the right word). I love kata tho, some more than others, but I would say once you have the perfect kata then you can rest...lol.................i.e. never.......

Is the bunkai of each move should be explained in the dojo or it'/ something you have to look for ?! It was never explained to me before

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
Everybody has some part of their particular martial art they don't like so much

Good to know that I am not the only one

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your instructor more about the bunkai, we partner up and practise certain applications from kata on each other so that we understand where the kata is coming from.

I have had students in the past show a strong dislike for kata, until I demonstrate the possibilities with different bunkai examples.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people simply don't enjoy the practice of kata, no matter what--my wife is one of those, for example, and is willing to hit things or learn self defense techniques, but refuses to actually practice karate because of the kata. Other people tend to hate kata because they don't see the value in it, which seems to be where you might be. I tend to see that the most in Kyokushin practitioners, too, honestly, because your kata just have no real connection to your kumite, and kumite tends to be the main focus for a lot of Kyokushin people.

As has been mentioned, the best way to appreciate the value of kata is to learn practical fighting applications for them. Your instructor may or may not know these applications, but the only way you'll find out is to ask, so I recommend that you do! If you don't get satisfactory answers, or you simply want more points of view, then doing your own research can help with that.

If you do decide to do your own research, I have some recommendations for you. First, I recommend that you read "The Way of Kata" by Kris Wilder and Lawrence Kane, as it will give you a good understanding of the basics of kata bunkai (analysis). Since the kata curriculum of Kyokushin is a mix of Shotokan and Goju-Ryu, you'll have to do research on two systems to find applications specific to the kata you practice. Iain Abernethy does Wado-Ryu, but it is quite similar to Shotokan, and so you will be able to find connections to your kata from him. You can also check out Kissaki-Kai methods from Vince Morris or his students, like Don Came, as they are Shotokan folks. For the Goju-Ryu side of things, I highly recommend material from Masaji Taira and Paul Enfield. All of this should give you a good, solid base of material to work with that connects to your kata.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Ask your instructor more about the bunkai, we partner up and practise certain applications from kata on each other so that we understand where the kata is coming from.

I have had students in the past show a strong dislike for kata, until I demonstrate the possibilities with different bunkai examples.

Thanks ashworth, I will try

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Some people simply don't enjoy the practice of kata, no matter what--my wife is one of those, for example, and is willing to hit things or learn self defense techniques, but refuses to actually practice karate because of the kata. Other people tend to hate kata because they don't see the value in it, which seems to be where you might be. I tend to see that the most in Kyokushin practitioners, too, honestly, because your kata just have no real connection to your kumite, and kumite tends to be the main focus for a lot of Kyokushin people.

As has been mentioned, the best way to appreciate the value of kata is to learn practical fighting applications for them. Your instructor may or may not know these applications, but the only way you'll find out is to ask, so I recommend that you do! If you don't get satisfactory answers, or you simply want more points of view, then doing your own research can help with that.

If you do decide to do your own research, I have some recommendations for you. First, I recommend that you read "The Way of Kata" by Kris Wilder and Lawrence Kane, as it will give you a good understanding of the basics of kata bunkai (analysis). Since the kata curriculum of Kyokushin is a mix of Shotokan and Goju-Ryu, you'll have to do research on two systems to find applications specific to the kata you practice. Iain Abernethy does Wado-Ryu, but it is quite similar to Shotokan, and so you will be able to find connections to your kata from him. You can also check out Kissaki-Kai methods from Vince Morris or his students, like Don Came, as they are Shotokan folks. For the Goju-Ryu side of things, I highly recommend material from Masaji Taira and Paul Enfield. All of this should give you a good, solid base of material to work with that connects to your kata.

Thanks for such a solid post & recommendation. " The way of kata " will be my next book then

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Safroot,

Hello from another Aussie - if you're ever down Canberra way, drop me a line and you'd be welcome to visit my dojo.

As for kata, I personally really enjoy it. However, is the exploration, analysis and attempt to understand it that I enjoy particularly, rather than the practise of the solo repetitions.

Kata is a mmemoric template for response that allows you to practise the applications in a kata when in your own.

I think enjoyment of kata is directly related to understanding. I personally don't see the kata as a single strain of self defence techniques, but rather a multitude of short sequences designed to teach fundamental skills which can be then brought together to form something that is collectively greater - kata.

Good luck on your journey with kata!

P.s. plenty of styles that also don't use kata, too.
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: