Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Is there a place where karate does not exist? Reply with quote

That sounds horrible to me. But are there any countries, areas of the world that don't have karate? Maybe they're aware of karate, but it's not available to them? Or maybe, there are places where karate is very scarce. First I'd like to hear of these places, then I would like to hear what you guys would (if possible) do about this!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some places. Maybe Antarctica depending on the time of year.

Karate specifically? Or martial arts in general?North Korea might not have karate, but I bet they have some form of martial arts. It might not be the easiest thing to access in Venezuela right now.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moon

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know because I've not been everywhere. I'm sure that such a place does exist where Karate/the MA doesn't exist, I'm just unaware of such a place.

Places that are off the grid/line where there's not one ounce of modern technology, where as those that live there, have never ever heard of any type of MA, or anything that's defined as it being a MA by the overall/general masses.

Like shortyafter has said...the moon. The moon has other things like golf and off road tracking and rock collecting and photography and no gravity camping and extra curricular expeditions, things like that that were made famous by NASA astronauts.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts in general are a global phenomenon, much much more so since the martial arts have entered the sphere of leisure, sporting competition and entertainment. In this day and age of instant access information, martial arts are found in one form or another and are accessible to most communities in all corners of the mondern world.

Systems originating in East Asia are by far the most ubiquitous and are practised in a huge variety of forms across the immense continent of Asia. One would be Indeed hard-pressed to find a single Asian country where a variant of Karate or TKD or Kung-fu/Chinese MA is neither known or offered.

The only places in the world where Karate and martial arts, i.e. Codified systems of unarmed defense/fighting are unknown or not present are logically the most rural, remote or difficulty accessed. Places such as small island nations or countries in near constant social and/or political conflict.

Experiment this: type "random country" and "karate" in google. Even the most obscure little known country will have something and that something will be found in that country's capital or largest urban zone if anywhere at all.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Probably some places. Maybe Antarctica depending on the time of year.

Karate specifically? Or martial arts in general?North Korea might not have karate, but I bet they have some form of martial arts. It might not be the easiest thing to access in Venezuela right now.

North Korea has ITF Taekwon-Do. Have a look at the Arirang Mass Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkSg3SmNaA

DPRK has the best ITF TKD team in the world too and nearly always tops the medal rankings at the ITF World Championships. Their TKD demo team is also amazing (here demonstrating at the WTF Worlds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5iH-8ZVaM

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for what countries don't have Karate, I'd imagine you'd be looking at island nations or smaller African nations? But for the most part Karate will be everywhere. And almost guaranteed every nation will have a historic method of fighting.

Funnily enough I found out my cousin who lives in Guyana even trained Karate as a kid. Guyana is a small developing country in South America, population 750 000, and even they have Karate.

Socksey
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate, jujutsu

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....
I lived in a small African country (Botswana) for a long time... and not only did we have karate, we had a really good club and an amazing Sensei (currently 6th Dan Shito Ryu). Our club members win in kata and kumite competitions on the world stage as well as in regional and national competitions. While it may not have the support it has in many other countries, the karateka are every bit as passionate as in other countries.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but if I had to guess Karate is probably not very popular in places like China were Gung Fu is prevalent and outside arts are not.

Again I can not be certain but if I had to guess, that would be my first choice of places that Karate isn't practiced.

Solidus
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there isn’t a single “Okinawan karate style”, outside of like a three, three and a half hour drive or further where I live. There used to be a taekwondo school out here somewhere, but….meh….no offense to the Taekwondo guys but that was never my thing or interest. Been trying to find a Goju-Ryu school that’s close enough to travel too. Been difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: