Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The element of surprise works both ways; from the attaker and the defender.

How many fights have been won from a single "sucker punch?" no style needed.

Is there no style in self-defense?
I'm posing the question because perhaps it is possible to teach some self defense without turning someone in to a martial artist.

I believe it is possible to teach self defence to an individual without spending countless hours trying to turn that person in to a martial artist.

As each individual is different and knowing some of their past athleticism, it could be possible to channel what they already know in to self defense.

People that play or have played soccer for instance could use many of the skills inherent in the game for self defense without much adjustment.

Tennis, swimming, horse riding, dance, gymnastics, volleyball, many people walk around with these skills and many more, how difficult would it be to tweak what they are already capable of in to self defense maneuvers; with out slapping a martial art designer name tag to it?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fact that those who are trained for certain situations are likely to respond according to the way they learned if and whenever they find themselves in that type of situation. That is the entire purpose of training and why it makes sense to train a given response, even if it is obvious that the real-life situation will most likely not present exactly the ideal circumstances.

Training provides only ideas and only prepares to deal with what might happen. However, it is better to be able to do something, anything without thinking than being completely unprepared. In self defense, for example, it is not important how stop or avoid an attack. What is important is that you do it, and quickly without significant injury.

Essentially, a karate trained person will probably use something from karate. But karate or any other martial art system does not have a monopoly on effective defense techniques for a given situation. There really is no such animal as "karate style" self defense or a XYZ way self defense.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
It is a fact that those who are trained for certain situations are likely to respond according to the way they learned if and whenever they find themselves in that type of situation. That is the entire purpose of training and why it makes sense to train a given response, even if it is obvious that the real-life situation will most likely not present exactly the ideal circumstances.

Training provides only ideas and only prepares to deal with what might happen. However, it is better to be able to do something, anything without thinking than being completely unprepared. In self defense, for example, it is not important how stop or avoid an attack. What is important is that you do it, and quickly without significant injury.

Essentially, a karate trained person will probably use something from karate. But karate or any other martial art system does not have a monopoly on effective defense techniques for a given situation. There really is no such animal as "karate style" self defense or a XYZ way self defense.

Its really quite simple- is one training against fully resisting opponents? The closer one gets to full resistance, the better their execution of practical techniques. That's exactly the reason why the guy showing all the groin grabs and eye gouges gets a lol and from me- how many times has he done this? Even if hes super deadly prison riot cop bouncer guy, maybe hes done it 50 times. Hobby martial artists do their techniques 50 times in a single week compared to a lifetime.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes to self defense anything is fair play. The rules go out the window.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: