Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Is your do jo hidden from the outside world? Reply with quote

I've noticed some dojos are just intimidating to enter. Some dojos are behind big doors where no one can tell what's going on in the do jo. I've even seen do jos behind gates where you have to identify yourself through the intercom, before you can enter. Some dojos don't even have seats where you can watch..What's with that? Is martial arts supposed to be practiced privately? I think the older and traditional schools once believed that it was best to keep the dojo hidden because the general public would misinterpret martial arts as a way of violence..

Well, I believe a do jo with "see through" windows will bring business...People can observe without going inside the dojo and leave with no obligation...

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The see through dojos are good, but not always. Those with big windows will encourage all the people on the street to stare and make fun, and trust me when you are doing your training you won't like to have some idiots laughing at your work.
Those dojos where you are permitted to assist at some sessions are great. Thus those who are interested may assist and the others could mind their own business
Dojos that resemble secret labs are cool maybe, but personally I like things to be more "open".

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cool thing about my dojo is that when the adults train, the shades are drawn. This gives you a certain amount of privacy and cuts down on that "fishbowl" effect. The public outside can see partially through the angled blinds, but their view is distorted and not enough to be distracting to those that are training. If someone wants to come in, they just have to walk around to the other entrance, which is in a less traveled area. I appreciate the blinds because in my line of work, I get enough attention from the public. It actually made the dojo more appealing.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front of my dojo as large windows, but this is more of a seating reception area, the actual dojo is hidden in the room behind. I like this concept because the office reception area is very welcoming but you still have your privacy because you can't see the training area from the front.

I AM CANADIAN

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have taught at a YMCA and out of my home. In both cases I like to keep what we do in the dojo to ourselves. If you really want to see what goes on in class join. I don't mind people comming in to watch but I don't invite them either.

When schools are public it does invite trouble makers. T.R. said,"walk softly and carry a big stick" Thats what we try and do.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: