Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: It's A Long Lasting Relationship!! Reply with quote

I'm asked quite often...

"What advice do you have for students who want to become an instructor?"

My most direct answer is...

You have to love it, the MA that is!! And if you don't love it, don't touch it, being an instructor, that is. And if you hate it, the MA, it is because you had a very bad teacher!!

I make students love the MA!!

Your thoughts, please!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with what you said, plus you need to have patience. Be nice when necessary but at the same time, have an authoritative voice if need be.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Knight once said "my job is very simple: to pass on the love of the game."

His methods may have been questionable though.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always love when new students love class, because I ALWAYS ask them how they liked class after their first. It's a great feeling when they say they really like it because it's more then a job, it's sharing something I really enjoy, kind of like when you used to play Nintendo and couldnt wait t I show a friend and they really liked it haha.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Bob. That love is so important, otherwise, one won't have the passion to pass it on. One can be good at teaching, but if they don't truly enjoy it, the students will sense it, and it won't translate well at all.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if you hate it, the MA, it is because you had a very bad teacher!!

What about that element?

Is the fault that of that "bad teacher"?

Is the student EQUALLY responsible for that?

Math was my worse subject because I'm not wired that way. Or was it because the teacher was bad at teaching math. Not all black belts can teach, nor should they try, and in that same light, not every math genius can teach.

My brother, Donald, is a genius in many subjects, including math, he an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, and with that, he owns a very successful shop where he lives. After all, he does Calculus for fun because it relaxes him, but as a teacher, he's an very impatient individual. He gets angry at the person that he's teaching math, and will say..."Why can't you get this? It's easy!" Yeah, for him, but not for me. I struggle with basic math, always have and always will. I'm calculator dependent to the Nth degree!!

My brothers mindset of teaching has made it where I can't learn math from him; there's no joy in figuring out the math solution. His angry makes me want to give him a free Karate lesson!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:
And if you hate it, the MA, it is because you had a very bad teacher!!

What about that element?

Is the fault that of that "bad teacher"?

Is the student EQUALLY responsible for that?

Math was my worse subject because I'm not wired that way. Or was it because the teacher was bad at teaching math. Not all black belts can teach, nor should they try, and in that same light, not every math genius can teach.

My brother, Donald, is a genius in many subjects, including math, he an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, and with that, he owns a very successful shop where he lives. After all, he does Calculus for fun because it relaxes him, but as a teacher, he's an very impatient individual. He gets angry at the person that he's teaching math, and will say..."Why can't you get this? It's easy!" Yeah, for him, but not for me. I struggle with basic math, always have and always will. I'm calculator dependent to the Nth degree!!

My brothers mindset of teaching has made it where I can't learn math from him; there's no joy in figuring out the math solution. His angry makes me want to give him a free Karate lesson!!

That's what separates a teacher/educator from a practitioner. The practitioner "gets it," and subsequently thinks everyone else should also "get it" because it's so simple. "How can you NOT see this?" is their war cry. An educator knows not everyone will see it as they do, and comes up with differs approaches to make it simple. Everyone's wired differently, and the educator knows this and relishes in this.

For those who can't understand why everyone else doesn't "see it," I wonder how they think the world made any progress. If everyone saw things the exact same way and no one was supposed to challenge that way of thinking, no one would come up with a new idea very often. Think the Dark Age.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be an instructor it is not enough to have skills and passion for what one trains. It requires a high degree of observational skills to evaluate and adjust how to teach different types of people who respond to different methods. Just repeating the same explanation or demonstration will not always have the desired results.

Someone who can break down, explain and demonstrate a single point in a variety of ways makes a great instructor. Such a person will likely reach a wider audience and have more successful students than an instructor who just repeats without ever trying to understand "why can't they get this?"

Maybetrue
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: It's A Long Lasting Relationship!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I'm asked quite often...

"What advice do you have for students who want to become an instructor?"

My most direct answer is...

You have to love it, the MA that is!! And if you don't love it, don't touch it, being an instructor, that is. And if you hate it, the MA, it is because you had a very bad teacher!!

I make students love the MA!!

Your thoughts, please!

Its not always the instructors fault.

Great martial artist can get "turned off" by politics,egos and other martial artists. The longer and more experienced one gets, the more a person will see the "BAD" of martial arts. So sad.

Being a student is the easy part of martial arts, just listen and do. Have fun when you are a student!

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that even if you love it, that probably isn't enough. You have to learn to be resilient in the face of students & parents who will question your business practices, teaching tactics, etc., as well as the ups & downs of running a business. One puts their heart & soul into teaching, yet students leave. They don't all hold your Art with the same reverence as you do. Yet, you have to continue to love your Art enough for yourself & for them. You have to be loyal to your students, & hope they return the respect. Loving for oneself is not enough when one teaches. You have to love it for your students, also.

It may sound as if I'm disillusioned with teaching after running a school for 10 years. I assure you that I am not. But I did get my eyes opened & much more appreciative of my instructors that I've had over the years. It is not an easy business to be in. It takes perseverance to weather a lot of storms. I was much stronger than I ever thought I was, or needed to be as a teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: